All you need are four ingredients to recreate this McDonald’s copycat Shamrock Shake – it’s faster than going through the drive thru and you don’t have to wait all year long for it’s yearly appearance!!
I’ve got some other fun green themed dessert ideas that would be perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration on the blog. It doesn’t get much easier than these St. Patrick’s Day Chocolate Dipped Oreos. I also love these Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cookies or this Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie.
McDonald’s Copycat Shamrock Shake Recipe
Need something green for dessert for your St. Paddy’s dinner? Today’s recipe may be just the ticket! It’s been my secret little addiction lately. I am not a McDonald’s fan, except for their Diet Coke and their Shamrock Shake. Although, since I figured out how to make Shamrock Shakes at home, I don’t need to wait for the Shamrock Shake to show up each year. And I think the version I make at home is so much better too! I’m still a fan of McDonald’s Diet Coke though!!
What is a Shamrock Shake?
It is a seasonal mint flavored, green colored shake that has been sold at McDonald’s restaurants for over 50 years! Customers wait all year for Shamrock Shake season too begin around St. Patrick’ Day! The good news is it is super easy to make at home so you don’t have to wait.
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
- You only need four ingredients- ice cream, milk, mint extract (or mint syrup, see below for details) and some green food coloring. I like my shakes pretty thick so I use a 2:1 ice cream to milk ratio. Adjust according to your personal preference.
- Add all of the ingredients into your blender and blend. Add more milk to make the shake thinner and more ice cream to make it thicker. You won’t need the food coloring if you use the mint syrup.
- Add some whipped cream on top and some green sprinkles to add a festive touch.
- And who can refuse a pretty cherry on top, even if you don’t eat the cherry, it looks so pretty!
In addition to the ice cream to milk ratio, you can also adjust the strength of the mint in the shake to your personal preference. I used 1 1/2 tsp of mint which was just right for me but feel free to use more or less. I have also used this mint syrup to make Shamrock Shakes. I actually prefer it to the mint extract but it can be difficult to find. I usually order it off of Amazon.
So no more drive thru at McDonald’s for a Shamrock Shake! You can make your Shamrock Shake at home and you can do it all year long. It can be St. Patrick’s Day everyday!
Some of my other favorite milkshakes include:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Shamrock Shake Recipe
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 Tbsp. mint syrup
- or 1-2 tsp mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring
- Place ice cream, milk and syrup or extract and food coloring in blender and blend. Add more milk or ice cream to create your desired consistency.
- You may also adjust the flavoring to your taste.
Originally posted March 1, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.