Olive Cheese Bread is covered in delicious gooey cheese and topped with black olives and green onions. It’s the perfect side dish to any meal.
I love a quick and easy bread side dish I can add to any meal, Easy Garlic Bread is another great choice and the perfect way to use up leftover hamburger buns or sandwich rolls. Another favorite are these Easy Breadsticks made with frozen rolls.
I am a bread lover and an olive lover so this Olive Cheese Bread is the perfect combo. Of course, I love cheese too. I pretty much love bread in any shape or form. When you add cheese to that bread I am totally incapable of resisting. Be sure you have family or friends around when you make this bread or else you may be tempted to eat the whole thing yourself.
This Olive Cheese Bread comes together super quick as it uses a store bought loaf of French bread. You could really use any bread you have on hand but the olive cheese topping is fairly heavy so a bread with a nice crust on it tends to work better.
I have used those inexpensive loaves of French Bread you can pick up at any store and I have also made it on a French baguette with a nice crust. Both work great and I can’t imagine any bread this wouldn’t be delicious on!
I love the combination of the olives and the cheese but if you aren’t an olive fan this bread would be totally delicious without the olives too.
How to Make Olive Cheese Bread
- Bread. Slice your loaf of bread in half and place cut side up on a baking sheet. I usually use a loaf of French or Italian bread, a loaf with a fairly good crust.
- Cheese. I used Monterey Jack cheese but you could use a combination of Mozzarella and Monterey Jack and even throw in a little Cheddar if you like. Play around with combinations and come up with your favorite.
- Olives. We are black olive fans at our house but green olives are also delicious and using a combination of black and green gives it some pretty color. Slice the olives.
- Green Onions. I love the flavor the green onions gives the olive cheese bread so don’t skip those, just slice them up.
- Mayonnaise. Use the regular mayonnaise not the low fat version.
- Bake. Bake the bread at 325 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the bread are crispy and golden brown.
Garnish with some freshly chopped parsley and then slice the bread into serving size pieces and enjoy. This bread is best served warm out of the oven
Can I Make Olive Cheese Bread Ahead?
You can make up the olive cheese mixture ahead of time and keep it refrigerated for a couple of days. Right before serving, spread it on your sliced bread and bake. Keep any leftover olive cheese bread refrigerated and warm in the microwave or under the broiler.
Some main dishes I like to serve olive cheese bread with:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Olive Cheese Bread
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup butter Room Temperature
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese grated
- parsley chopped for garnish
- Combine butter, mayonnaise, cheese, olives and green onions in a mixing bowl
- Stir together until thoroughly combined. Mixture can be refrigerated at this point and used within 2-3 days
- Spread mixture onto French bread that has been sliced lengthwise
- Bake at 325ºF for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges of bread are browning
Originally posted March 6, 2010
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!