Thick and delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
I have a lot of hobbies, things I like to do. And one of them is experimenting with chocolate chip cookie recipes. I probably try 2-3 a month. I always think I am going to find a better, more perfect chocolate chip cookie. Most of the times I don’t.
I’ve got several different chocolate chip cookie recipes here on the blog that have met with my seal of approval and “made the blog!” I am a firm believer that something must be worth the calories if I’m going to eat it!
Today’s oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe is one that passed the test. Not too flat and not too thick. Chewy on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside. This recipe also includes oatmeal which makes it even more chewy.
The recipe uses a combination of butter and shortening which I really prefer. I used butter flavored shortening. It also uses dark brown sugar and a whole tablespoon of vanilla. In my book you can never have too much vanilla!
It also has one other secret ingredient – vanilla pudding mix. I have made other recipes that use vanilla pudding before and was not impressed but it really works in this recipe! I used milk chocolate chips because that’s what I like.
I have made so many chocolate chip cookies I can pretty much tell by the way the cookie looks, before I even taste it, if it’s going to stand up to my chocolate chip cookie standards. I knew this one was a winner when I pulled it out of the oven.
Just about the only thing that could make this cookie any better was a nice cold glass of milk!
Yeah, I’m a dipper!
For other yummy chocolate chip cookie recipes try these:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 C shortening
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 3/4 C firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3.4 ounce package of vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C old fashioned oats
- 2 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 1 12 ounce package milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix together shortening and butter in a bowl until light and smooth.
- Add in sugars and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs.
- Add in pudding, extract, baking soda, water and salt and mix until well blended.
- Mix in oats and flour
- Add in chocolate chips.
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes or until top appears dry and lightly cracked. Do not overbake.
- Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet
- Transfer to rack to cool.