Mississippi Mud Cookies are a variation of the ever popular Mississippi Mud Pie. You’ve got the chewy chocolate and the gooey marshmallow in the perfect cookie.
Mississippi Mud Pie is believed to originated in Mississippi, imagine that! Guess that is where it got it’s name. There are lots of different versions of Mississippi Mud Pie out there but most of them have a chocolate cookie crust, and lots of gooey chocolate goodness and is usually served with ice cream. Chocolate is the common theme and denominator of all the variations of Mississippi Mud pie out there.
As I have mentioned before chocolate is not usually my flavor of choice, I’m more of a vanilla girl but there are some days when only chocolate will do. I was having one of “those days” a few weeks ago and decided that these Mississippi Mud Cookies were just what I needed. So today’s recipe for Mississippi Mud Cookies is a variation of the classic Mud Pie. It is a chewy chocolate cookie and it’s gooeyness comes from marshmallows! The cookie has lots of chocolate goodness including melted semi sweet chocolate and chocolate chips. You can add in chopped nuts too but I am anti nut in my baked goods, so left them out.
The marshmallows are added and pushed into the top of each cookie before baking and then I gave them a few extra seconds under the broiler after the cookies baked to toast up the marshmallows a bit. It’s purely aesthetic!
I found that the best way to enjoy these chocolate, chewy, wonders is with a glass of cold milk. I think just about any cookie tastes better with a glass of cold milk.
Some of my other favorite chocolate cookies are:
- Chocolate Creamy Cookies
- Levain Bakery Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Swig Style Sugar Cookies
Mississippi Mud Cookies Recipe
Mississippi Mud Cookies
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup minature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in microwave, stir until smooth.
- Beat together butter and sugar at medium speed. Add in eggs one at a time. Mix until well blended.
- Add in vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt and add into chocolate mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Add in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by large tablespoonfuls onto a greased or parchment covered baking sheet. Press 3 marshmallows into the top of each cookie
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool on a rack.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.