This homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream is creamy, refreshing and delicious. Add in chocolate chips or your favorite chocolate mint candy.
Our family is a divided camp when it comes to mint. Some of us love it, some of us don’t. I am absolutely camp mint and don’t mind that some family members don’t like it because that just means more mint chip ice cream for me!
There is something so refreshing about mint in ice cream and it is perfect when combined with chocolate.
Ice Cream Ingredients
- Whole milk
- Half and half
- Vanilla extract. Use pure vanilla extract for best flavor.
- Heavy Cream
- Mint syrup or mint extract. Mint extract is not the same as peppermint extract.
- Andes mints. Can also use mint chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips.
What is Mint Flavor?
For this recipe I have used mint syrup The Green Mint flavor can be difficult to find but you can get it on Amazon. If you can’t find it you can always use mint extract and some green food coloring.
What Is Half And Half?
I am often asked what half and half is. It is a combination of whole milk and whipping cream. If you don’t have half and half where you live (I think it may be an American thing) just use more whipping cream and whole milk in place of the half and half – a 1:1 ratio. But if you can buy half and half, I highly recommend doing so as I think it makes a difference in the taste and texture.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- Whisk together sugar, pinch of salt, milk, whipping cream and half and half in a large bowl.
- Add in mint syrup or mint extract to taste. I prefer using mint syrup which you can get on Amazon.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions.
- About half way through the processing time, add in chopped chocolate or chocolate chips. If you are using chocolate cookies add those in when the ice cream is almost done processing so that they don’t totally dissolve into the ice cream.
- After it is done processing, pour ice cream into an insulated container or loaf pan and freeze to allow it to harden.
For the chocolate part of this ice cream you can get creative. You can add in:
- Oreo Cookies
- Chocolate Wafer Cookies
- Thin Mint or Grasshopper Mint Cookies
- Chocolate Chips
Frequently Asked Questions
Stored in an airtight, insulated ice cream container it will last for a couple of weeks.
This homemade ice cream recipe is designed to be made in an ice cream maker and is not meant to be a no churn ice cream.
No it’s not. Mint uses spearmint and has a different flavor than peppermint. If you want peppermint ice cream, use this recipe.
Some of our other favorite ice cream flavors:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 Tbsp mint syrup or to taste or mint extract to taste (1-2 tsp)
- 1 box of Andes mints chopped
- Combine sugar, whole milk, salt, half and half, vanilla and whipping cream. Stir to combine and allow sugar to dissolve.
- Add in mint syrup to taste and chopped Andes mint candy. Pour into ice cream freezer.
- Process in ice cream freezer until set up and firm. May place in freezer when done processing to allow it to set up more.