The caramelized exterior and soft interior of these roasted sweet potatoes is perfection. They can be drizzled with maple syrup and topped with crispy bacon for extra flavor.
I have not always been a vegetable lover. I think I have shared with you before that as a child clear through college until I got married the only vegetable I really ate was green beans – out of a can. Fortunately for me my taste buds developed more as I aged and I now I eat my vegetables. The newest vegetables to join my vegetable repertoire are brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. I have been fixing lots of both lately. In fact today’s recipe can be made with either brussels sprouts or sweet potatoes.
What Kind of Olive Oil Should I Use for Roasting Vegetables?
Different olive oils have different purposes. If you are making a salad dressing or marinading you should use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If you are going to be roasting or heating the oil you should use a Light Olive Oil. It has a higher smoke point than an Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
How to Cut a Sweet Potato
- Peel sweet potato using a knife or a potato peeler.
- Slice off ends of potato.
- Cut potato into half inch round discs
- Cut each disc into 1/2 inch cubes.
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into evenly sized pieces, about 1 inch thick.
- Place potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper and dried thyme. I used fresh thyme but you can also use dried, use half the amount of dried thyme. You can add in any additional seasoning you like.
- Place potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place them potatoes in a single layer.
- Put into a 400 degree F oven fo 15 minutes.
- After the first 15 minutes toss them around a bit and then roast them for about another 10 minutes or until they were tender.
- Serve as is or to dress them up a bit, place them into a bowl, add the bacon and drizzled them with real maple syrup.
Roasted Sweet Potato Tips
- Spread them out on a large baking sheet as much as possible. They will get crisper if they aren’t touching other potatoes.
- Toss every 10-15 minutes for to prevent them from burning
- Peeling the potatoes is optional but I prefer them peeled.
I love the sweetness of the maple syrup with the saltiness of the bacon. Remember, this recipe is delicious with brussels sprouts too!
What to Serve with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
They are perfect with beef, pork, chicken, turkey or fish. We love them with everything. Some of our favorites include:
- London Broil
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Easy Crock Pot BBQ Ribs
- Crock Pot Balsamic Beef
- Fast Fire Flank Steak
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 slices of bacon cooked and diced
- 1 Tbsp of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- olive oil
- Peel, slice and cube sweet potatoes
- Drizzle olive oil over sweet potatoes and stir to coat.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and toss.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until tender.
- Place in bowl and add bacon and thyme.
- Drizzle with maple syrup to taste