These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are the perfect combination of sweet and tart. A sweet tender muffin with a tart lemon glaze!
I am pretty much a sucker for anything that has lemon in it or poppy seeds so a Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin is a no brainer for me! A light lemon flavor with the crunch of poppy seeds covered in a nice lemon drizzle. Yum!
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Mix together wet ingredients in a bowl and dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix just until incorporated.
- Scoop batter into greased or lined muffin tips.
- Do not overbake muffins (the ones pictured probably baked a minute or too longer than they should have.)
After muffins have cooled, mix up glaze. Add enough milk to get a good drizzling consistency. It should flow easily. Use a fork or spoon to drizzle over the top of baked muffins.
How Thick Should Muffin Batter Be?
Muffin batter is meant to be thick. You should be able to stand a fork or spoon up in it. If you think it is too thin, add just a bit more flour.
A thicker, stiffer batter will give you a taller, puffy style muffin but you will still have a light and tender muffin.
Top Tips for Making Muffins
- Use room temperature ingredients, they will incorporate easier.
- Don’t over stir the batter. Stir just until all the ingredients are incorporated. Mixing your batter by hand makes easier to not over mix.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure or scoop to measure out your batter. It makes the perfect size muffin.
- Grease your muffin tin or use cupcake liners.
- Cool muffins in the pan for ten minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.
- Allow muffins to cool before drizzling with glaze.
We love lemon at our house, so make sure to check out more of our favorite lemon recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Add together flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, poppy seeds and lemon zest in a bowl
- In another bowl combine sour cream, egg, melted butter and vanilla. If using Greek yogurt, batter will be thicker.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened
- Do not over stir
- Spoon batter into prepared muffins pans (creased or liners) Fill 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown
- Remove from pan and cool on rack
- Add together powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl
- Stir until smooth
- Drizzle the glaze over top of muffins