This delicious Lemon Parmesan Chicken & Rice Soup is hearty, filling, and can be put together in less than 15 minutes with a few shortcuts.
Who doesn’t love the idea of dinner in fifteen minutes or less?! With today’s lemon chicken and reice soup recipe you can do just that. The first trick is using leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. The chicken is already cooked and ready to pop into the soup. And the second trick is using instant rice like Minute Rice.
We are big rice fans at our house and it is actually one of my favorite things to add into soup. I like to cook the rice before putting it in the soup. This keeps it from absorbing too much of the broth. And I like to use chicken stock instead of water to give it some more flavor.
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
While the rice is cooking, I get the rest of the soup together. I cook the onion and garlic in some olive oil for about 3-4 minutes. Then I add in the chicken broth, cooked chicken, lemon zest and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring it to a boil and let it all simmer for about 5 minutes. Finally, add the rice and dinner is ready!
I love to top my lemon chicken and rice soup with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Lemon and Parmesan complement each other nicely. And cheese just makes everything more delicious.
Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
- 10 C chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lemon zested
- 2-3 C cooked shredded chicken
- 1 C Minute® White Rice
- 1 C water or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 C Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 C chives chopped
- Bring 1 C water or chicken broth to a boil. Add in 1 C rice, cover and turn off heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Put olive oil into a pan and cook onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Combine chicken broth, diced chicken, lemon zest, onion mixture and crushed red pepper into pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice.
- Top with parmesan cheese and chives.
- Salt and pepper to taste