These Lemon Crinkle Cookies are a fun flavor twist on the traditional chocolate version. The perfect cookie for all the lemon lovers in your life.
I love lemon, especially in the spring and summer. Sunshine and lemons just go together in my book and today’s Lemon Crinkle Cookies fit right in too! A friend sent me this recipe because she knows my love for lemons runs deep. And there just happened to be a whole bag of lemons on my kitchen counter, just waiting to be used when I got the recipe. I buy a bag of lemons every time I go to the grocery store. You never want to be caught with out enough lemons!!!
The cookies have a nice light lemon flavor to them, not too tart or overpowering. They also have a nice soft texture and the powdered sugar coating gives them a melt in your mouth quality. They would be quite lovely with a cup of tea and perfect for any summer or springtime party or shower. I’m pretty much a fan of lemon anytime!
How to Make Lemon Crinkles
- You do need to plan ahead a bit with these cookies as the cookie dough does need to chill for a few hours to set up a bit. Don’t be alarmed when the dough is quite soft. A few hours of chilling helps it to set right up.
- I use my favorite cookie scoop to get even sized balls of dough. Roll the balls of dough into powdered sugar, being sure to coat the whole thing. Bake the cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet at 350 degrees F. Allow them to cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet after removing them from the oven and then move them to a cooling rack.
- These cookies are also called Lemon Crackle Cookies because of the crackled appearance the cookie gets after it bakes.
- I love to bake up a batch of cookies and then freeze part of them. I share all my tips for how to freeze cookies here.
Some of my other favorite lemon cookies:
Lemon Crinkle Cookie Recipe
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- ½ C butter softened
- 1 C sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 3 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 C flour
- ½ C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla, eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Add in flour, baking powder and salt until just combined, excluding the powdered sugar.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Pour powdered sugar onto a bowl. Form dough in a ball and roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown
- Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Originally posted April 19, 2011
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.