Hot Fudge Sundae Cake is a warm gooey brownie and hot fudge sauce all in one. Everything is mixed up together and magic happens as it bakes.
I have been making this Hot Fudge Sundae Cake for 30 years and mom made it before that. It may have originally come from Betty Crocker. I bet your mom or grandmother probably made it too!
This recipe works like magic. All the ingredients go in together and magically as it bakes a gooey cake like brownie forms on top and a fudgy layer of hot fudge sauce on the bottom!
Hot Fudge Sundae Cake Ingredients
You will need:
- granulated sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- canola oil
How to Make Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
- Mix together granulated sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa in an 8 x 8 baking pan No need to dirty a bowl.
- Add in milk, oil and vanilla and stir to mix and spread evenly in the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with brown sugar and then cocoa powder.
- Bring the water to a boil in a sauce pan and pour over the top.
- Place the baking dish onto a cookie sheet to make it easier to move it in and out of the oven without spilling the water and to prevent any spills in the oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes or until the top looks set and slightly dry. It will still be wiggly because of the hot fudge underneath.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes for serving. This will help the hot fudge sauce to thicken up a bit. This dessert is meant to be served warm out of the oven.
I usually put it in the oven right as we sit down to dinner and then about 45 minutes later it is ready to eat. Trust me on this one, you want to eat it fresh out of the oven!
I like to serve it in a bowl with a spoon so none of that hot fudge gets away.
All that is left to do is add a scoop of ice cream and then enjoy some warm, chocolatey, fudgy goodness.
Can I double Hot Fudge Sundae Cake?
To double the cake, use a 9 x 13 pan and double the ingredients.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups water boiling hot. If you watch the video I say the wrong amount in the video. this is the right amount
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an ungreased square pan , 8 x 8, stir together flour, sugar, 2 Tbsp cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in milk, oil and vanilla with fork until smooth. Spread evenly in the pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 C cocoa.
- Pour hot water over batter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes and then spoon into dessert dishes and top with ice cream!