Herb Rice is a delicious and simple side dish, perfect for almost every recipe. Use fresh or dried herbs to give this dish amazing flavor.
Rice is a staple at our house. I am not a potato fan and will always pick rice over a potato. I love the versatility of this herb rice recipe, you can change up the flavor just by changing the herb combination you use. The addition of lemon juice to this rice gives it even more flavor. It is the perfect thing to serve with chicken, pork,or beef.
It is also a fun recipe to play with and get creative with. Change up the herb combination depending on what you have in your spice drawer or herb garden.
How to Substitute Dried Herbs for Fresh Herbs
You can use fresh herbs or dry herbs with this herb rice recipe. A rule of thumb is to use 2 times as much fresh herb as you would use of a dried herb. So if the recipe calls for 1 tsp dried parsley, use 2 tsp. fresh.
When substituting, you’ll often be more successful substituting fresh herbs for dried herbs, rather than the other way around but this recipe works well with both. I often use dried herbs in the rice and then garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley.
So have fun playing around with the recipe and changing up your herb combinations. I have used rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano and parsley.
How to Make Herb Rice
- Rinse rice to remove starch coating on rice.
- I use a ratio of one cup of rice to 2 cups of water.
- For more flavor, I use chicken broth instead of water.
- Use a long grain rice such as basmati or jasmine.
- After cooking time, allow the rice to rest. Remove from heat, uncover it, and drape a dry, clean folded towel or paper towel over the top of the pot. Put the lid back on. The towel will absorb any excess moisture and prevent any condensation from dripping back onto the rice. Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes so the moisture can redistribute and fully absorb.
Some of my favorite main dishes to serve herb rice with:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Herb Rice Recipe
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dried onion or ¼ C finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper a few shakes
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1½ cup basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, basil, thyme, dill (use less dill), oregano, or parsley use your favorite combo, If using fresh herbs use 2 times as much. Only use 3-4 different herbs at a time.
- fresh parsley for garnish
- In a pan over medium heat melt butter and add in onion as well as salt and pepper.
- Stir until onion is soft.
- Add in garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add in chicken broth and lemon juice and herb combination along with the rice. I used 1 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp thyme and 1 tsp parsley.
- Stir until mixed together.
- Bring to a boil and cover and reduce heat.
- Cook covered for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Garnish with some fresh herbs if desired
Originally posted March 18, 2011
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!