Herbed Rice is the delicious and simple side dish, perfect for almost every recipe.
Here is the recipe for the Herbed Rice I served with the Chicken Marsala.
I love it because it is such a versatile recipe – you can change up the flavor just by changing the herb combination you use.
I am a non-potato eating woman married to a man from Idaho. Believe it or not!
As a result, we eat a lot of rice at our house. I love rice and have discovered lots of fun and flavorful ways to prepare it so it never gets boring.
Today’s recipe is for an lemon herb rice that I have fixed with chicken, pork, and beef and it is wonderful with all of them.
It is also a fun recipe to play with and change up the herbs depending on what you have in your spice drawer or herb garden.
You can use fresh herbs or dry herb. A rule of thumb is to use 3 times as much fresh herb as you would use of a dried herb. So if the recipe calls for 1 tsp dried parsley, use 3 tsp. fresh.
When substituting, you’ll often be more successful substituting fresh herbs for dried herbs, rather than the other way around. For example, think potato salad with fresh vs. dried parsley!
So have fun playing around with the recipe and changing up your herb combinations. I have used rosemary, basil, thyme, dill and parsley. The last time I made it I left the rosemary out because it was pouring down rain and I didn’t want to go out to the herb garden so I just dried basil, thyme and parsley. I use less dill if I am putting it in because I don’t care for a strong dill flavor.
Herbed Rice Recipe
- ¼ C fresh lemon juice
- 3 C chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried onion or ¼ C finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper a few shakes
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1½ c. basmati rice
- Your choice of 3-4 of the following dried herbs:
- ½ – ¾ tsp of each of rosemary, basil, thyme, dill (use less dill), oregano, or parsley
- If using fresh herbs use 3 times as much
- Fresh basil chop it it up fine
- No more than 3-4 herbs so your flavor doesn't get totally out of control
- My favorite combination is basil, thyme and parsley
- In a pan over medium heat melt butter and add in onion as well as salt and pepper.
- Stir until onion is soft.
- Add in garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add in chicken broth and lemon juice and herb combination along with the rice.
- Stir until mixed together.
- Bring to a boil and cover and reduce heat.
- Cook covered for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.