Ice Cream Tacos are made with a cinnamon sugar coated tortilla filled with ice cream, dipped in chocolate and covered with sprinkles or nuts!
Homemade Choco taco
One of my favorite parts of summer as a child was hearing the music from the approaching ice cream truck. Running inside to ask my parents for some money and then trying to choose what ice cream treat I wanted. The idea of an ice cream taco dipped in chocolate or a Choco Taco as they were called was always so intriguing!
No need to wait for the ice cream truck anymore, you can make this fun ice cream treat at home! The process of making them is almost as fun as eating them. Get creative and see how many fun flavor combinations you can come up with.
Ice Cream Taco Ingredients
- Flour Tortillas. Buy the smalled ones you can find.
- Cinnamon Sugar. I use a ratio of 1 Tbsp sugar to 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Ice Cream. Use your favorite flavor.
- Chocolate Chips. I used semi sweet but you could use milk or dark chocolate.
- Sprinkles. I also used some chopped nuts in addition to rainbow and chocolate sprinkles.
How to Make Ice Cream Tacos
- Spray tortillas with a butter or baking spray.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Fold the tortilla in half with the cinnamon sugar on the inside.
- Insert a little foil ball into the tortilla to help it retain it’s shape while baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about ten minutes or until nice and crispy.
- Allow shells to cool and gently fill them with ice cream. Allow the ice cream to soften slightly to make them easier to fill. Be sure and have the ice cream come all the way to the top of the taco so that the chocolate has something to grab on to.
- Wrap them individually in plastic and put them back in the freezer to let them harden up a bit before dipping them into the chocolate.
Instructions for Dipping Ice Cream Tacos
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or in a pan on top of the stove.
- Add a little corn syrup or butter to thin the chocolate enough to a good consistency for dipping. (do not use water)
- Put the chocolate into a bowl or a small foil loaf pan which was the perfect size and depth to dip the taco.
- After dipping, sprinkle with chopped nuts and or sprinkles. You can also drizzle them with chocolate if you prefer. Dip the top half of the taco or the whole thing if you want more chocolate, it gets a little messy though when you try and dip the whole thing.
- Lay them on a piece of wax paper and put them back in the freezer to harden up.
How to Store Ice Cream Tacos
After the chocolate has set up you can wrap them in plastic wrap and then a layer of foil and keep them stored in the freezer for 1-2 weeks.
You could have so much fun with different flavors of ice cream, and chocolate. I think white chocolate dipped ice cream taco would be yummy!! What could be better than an ice cream filled taco!
Check out more yummy ice cream treats:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos
- 6 Small flour tortillas
- 3 tsp cinnamon sugar
- butter spray
- 6 cups ice cream
- 1.5 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- corn syrup if needed for thinning
- sprinkles crushed nuts etc.
- Spray one side of tortilla with butter spray and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Fold over with cinnamon sugar on the inside and insert foil ball to keep tortilla open
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool and then fill with ice cream.
- Wrap in plastic and freeze until hard.
- Melt chocolate. Add in butter and corn syrup. Stir until smooth.
- Dip ice cream filled taco into chocolate.
- Sprinkle with desired topping
- Place on wax paper and put in freezer to harden up.