I shared my favorite chinese dish with you on Monday – cashew nut chicken.
Today it’s my second favorite dish – chinese style green beans. I love these things and I have to say this recipe is just as good as any I’ve had in any restaurant. Maybe even better! They are also the perfect side dish to serve with your cashew nut chicken.
They aren’t the prettiest dish to look at but that doesn’t matter after you taste them.
You start with a pound or two of fresh green beans.
I give them a rinse and snap off the ends. Use a paper towel to blot them dry.
I like cooking them in my cast iron skillet but you could use a wok or a regular frying pan.
I just cook them with a little bit of peanut oil until they start to shrivel and bit and turn brown in parts.
You still want them to be slightly crisp – not totally shriveled up!
I then throw a couple of teaspoons of garlic in with the beans and stir it until you can really smell the garlic!
Next, you stir in a mixture of black bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar, pepper and chili garlic sauce. Stir them a bit more and they are ready to go.
They are then ready to eat. You will want to eat them all!!
Chinese Style Green Beans
- 1-2 pounds green beans
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tsp peanut oil or canola oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp black bean sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Wash and pat dry the beans. Snap the ends off of the beans.
- Mix together black bean sauce, garlic sauce, pepper, soy sauce and sugar and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Once hot, add beans in a single layer. May have to do multiple batches. time. Don't over-crowd the pan.
- Cook until they are golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and cook your next batch.
- The beans should still be crisp at this point, not mushy.
- Put all the beans back into the pan and then add the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add the sauce. Stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.