Napa Cabbage Salad is topped with a crunchy ramen noodle and almond topping and dressed with a sesame soy dressing for a delicious and easy salad.
Salad is one of my favorite, quick and easy dinner ideas and this Napa Chicken Salad is one we make often. Just pick up a rotisserie chicken your local grocery store or use some leftover shredded chicken and dinner is ready in no time.
Because we are empty nesters, we don’t often use the entire rotisserie chicken in one meal. You may need to use all of the meat if you are feeding a larger family. But if you do have some left over, I also love to make a family favorite, yum yum bowls.
What is Napa Cabbage?
The Napa Cabbage Salad gets its name from the Napa Cabbage. It is a nice alternative to romaine or spinach. I love the crisp texture! You may know this salad as a Chinese cabbage salad but no matter what you call it, it is delicious.
- Napa Cabbage. If you can’t find napa cabbage or for a less expensive alternative you can use romaine lettuce or spinach.
- Green Onions. Chopped and diced.
- Mandarin Oranges. I used canned oranges and drain them first.
- Chicken Ramen Noodles. You will use the dry noodles and the seasoning mixture from the package.
- Almonds. I prefer slivered but you can use sliced.
- Chicken. Use leftover rotisserie chicken or any leftover chicken breast meat you may have. (See below for different ways to cook chicken.
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Canola oil. Use a mild flavored oil. Can also use vegetable oil or avocado oil.
- Vinegar. Use either rice vinegar, white wine or regular white vinegar.
- Soy sauce. I use regular soy sauce but you could also use low sodium.
- Sesame oil. This is an important ingredient and adds lots of flavor. It’s found in the Asian aisle of the grocery store.
- Granulated Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How to Make Napa Cabbage Salad Dressing
- Mix dressing ingredients together until the sugar dissolves. You can also put it into a blender and pulse it a few times. It will separate out a bit as it sits so just give it a good shake or stir before serving.
How to Make Napa Cabbage Salad
- Crush ramen noodles. I do this right in the package by just squeezing it. Remove the seasoning packet.
- Put noodles into a pan with butter, sesame seeds and almonds.
- Cook until golden brown, stir often. They can burn easily.
- Add in seasoning package from ramen noodles and then allow noodles to cool.
- Cook chicken using one of the methods listed below. Shred or dice chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a bowl, place shredded cabbage. Top with green onions, oranges, shredded chicken and noodle mixture.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
How to Make Shredded Chicken
Microwave. This method is quick and easy and takes about 10 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Depending on the size of your microwave you can do 2-3 chicken breasts at a time.. Find all the details here.
Slow Cooker. If you have time, the slow cooker makes a moist and tender shredded chicken. It takes about four hours on low. If I have to make a large batch of shredded chicken this is the perfect way. Find all the details here.
Instant Pot. This is another great method and I usually do about 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts at a time. It will take about a total of 45 minutes. Find all the details here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Certainly, without the chicken this salad is a great side salad to any meal. Adding the chicken makes in a main dish.
Yes, just be sure to keep it in an airtight container so that it stays crisp and crunchy. It can be made ahead of time 2-3 days.
You can use romaine lettuce, spinach or even shredded green cabbage or a combination of all three.
Some of our other favorite salad ideas:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Napa Cabbage Salad
- 1 ramen noodles uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 head napa cabbage shredded
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar rice vinegar, white wine vinegar or regular white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- Crush noodles and add into pan with butter, sesame seeds and almonds.
- Cook until golden brown, stir often.
- Add in seasoning package from ramen noodles and then cool.
- Mix dressing ingredients together.
- Place cabbage, green onions and oranges into a bowl. Top with noodle topping.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
Leave a Review