Buffalo Chicken Dip is a fun variation on the American classic, Buffalo Chicken Wings. It is cheesy and delicious and a perfect accompaniment to any ball game watching event.
I grew up with a father that watched very little sports, just the occasional golf tournament. I married a man who LOVES sports! In fact our first date was to a football game. Thanks to my husband, we have raised two boys that also LOVE sports!
They love their Portland Trailblazers, Seattle Mariners, University of Oregon Ducks and their BYU Cougars. My boys created many memories attending Blazer games together for many years.
I am not a sports fan despite my husband’s best efforts although I do agree to attend the occasional sporting event with my husband. I pretty much go for the food, not the sport.
When my boys watch a big game together at home I am in charge of the food. Chicken wings are always a favorite and Buffalo Chicken Wings are a pretty traditional ballgame watching food.
Today’s recipe is a little twist on those chicken wings, Buffalo Chicken Dip. It has all the same flavors as the chicken wings including a little kick to it. One of the things I love about it is, it’s not as messy to eat as the actual chicken wings! I cut down on the amount of hot sauce as we’re not huge “heat” fans around here but if you like heat, just add more hot sauce. I served it with the Frito Scoop chips.
Why is it called Buffalo Chicken?
The first Buffalo Chicken Wings were served in 1964 at a small restaurant in Buffalo, New York and they have become an American classic!
How to make buffalo chicken dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip can easily be made the night before or the morning of and just kept in the refrigerator until ready to bake. It will take longer to bake if it has been refrigerated.
- Soften your cream cheese first for a smoother dip. If you end up with little chunks of cream cheese, that is o.k., it will still be delicious.
- Use leftover rotisserie chicken or use Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken.
- Bake about 15 minutes and then add cheese on top and finish baking for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite chip and dig in!
Some other great game day appetizers are:
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese two - 8oz packages softened
- 1 1/2 C shredded chicken
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup red hot sauce I used Frank's Red Hot Wing sauce
- 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix cream cheese, ranch dressing and red hot sauce together
- Add in shredded chicken
- Place mixture in a pie pan that has been sprayed with Pam
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for another 10-15 minutes until nice and hot and bubbly
- Serve with Fritos
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Originally posted Nov. 10, 2009
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.