This Oriental Chicken Salad is the perfect copycat of the popular Applebee’s recipe. It’s my favorite salad on their menu and I love making it at home.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
When my children were at home we always celebrated their birthday by going out to dinner. The birthday child got to select the restaurant. For years, it never failed, all four children would select Applebee’s for their birthday, I think it was because they got a balloon, a free dessert and they would sing to them.
There is one thing on the Applebee’s menu that I love and every time I have eaten at Applebee’s I have ordered it, every time. My family calls me boring but I figure, why mess with a good thing.
The menu item that I always order is their their Oriental Chicken Salad and I ALWAYS order it. I was so excited when I discovered a copycat recipe for the salad, especially now that the kids aren’t at home and we aren’t going to Applebees for their birthdays! I can make it at home anytime I want and it doesn’t have to be someone’s birthday.
- Chicken. At the restaurant, the salad is served with a sliced, breaded chicken breast on top. I have used the frozen, breaded chicken tenderloins or chicken strips from Costco. They taste just as good and it makes the salad super easy and fast to put together. I also just used grilled chicken breast.
- Cabbage. A combination of green and red.
- Romaine lettuce. You can also add in some baby spinach if you prefer.
- Green onions
- Almonds. Sliced and toasted. You can buy them toasted or just place on a plate and toast in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Stir halfway through and watch closely.
- Chow mein noodles. I love the crunch these give the salad (I forgot to add them in the photo)
Tips from Leigh Anne
- I actually prefer to serve this salad with grilled chicken. I pound my chicken breast into an even thickness, coat it with some olive oil, salt and lemon juice and let it sit for an hour or so in the fridge. Then I grill it or bake it in the oven and then slice it up.
- You can buy your almonds toasted but you can easily toast your own in the oven or microwave.
- Oven: Spread out on a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree F oven for 6-7 minutes. Stir half way through.
- Microwave: Place in a single layer on a plate and microwave on high at one minute intervals.
Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Dressing
- Rice wine vinegar. I often just use regular white vinegar.
- Dijon mustard
- Sesame oil. Don’t skip this ingredient, it gives the dressing a lot of great flavor.
How to Make Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl except for chicken..
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Dress salad with salad dressing.
- Top dressed salad with chicken.
Try one of these other favorite chicken salad recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad
- 6 Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 breaded chicken tenderloin or grilled chicken breast
- 2 cups green cabbage chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage chopped
- 6 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds or just throw a handful in like I do.
- 2/3 cup chow mein noodles
- Mix together!
Originally posted January 17, 2008