I think every mom has their “Go To” dinner recipes. I know I do.
Now that we are empty nesters (except for this summer thank goodness!) my “Go To” dinner recipe is sometimes take out!!
But when I was a mom of four little kids those go to recipes usually included Boboli pizza, BBQ Chicken Wingettes and tacos. I remember one of my mom’s go to recipes was also tacos. We like those crispy shells. Earlier this week I was feeling pretty uninspired in regards to what to have for dinner and I was flipping through my binder full of old family recipes and I came across Taco Bake Recipe. It had been years since I made it but it was one of my go to recipes and a nice little variation on the theme of tacos. My dinner dilemma was solved. We were having Taco Bake.
The nice thing about Taco Bake is the ingredients are ones I usually have on hand. A pound of hamburger in the freezer, taco seasoning, cheese, lettuce, tomato and some tortilla chips.
For Taco Bake you start with a crust rather than a tortilla. One of my favorite parts of Taco Bake is the crust. It is more like bread than a tortilla. There are crushed up tortilla chips in the crust for some nice crunch and texture.
I browned up a pound of hamburger and added some taco seasoning and a bit of water, letting it simmer for a few minutes and then add it into the unbaked crust.
After it bakes for about 30 minutes remove it from the oven and then top it with your favorite taco toppings. We used grated cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and some chopped tomatoes. We also liked sliced olives but I didn’t have any this time.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1/2 C water
- 1 C grated cheese
- 1 C chopped lettuce
- 1 C chopped tomato
- Any other taco toppings of your choice
- 1 3/4 - 2 C flour
- 1 pkg quick rise yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried mince onion
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 C warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 C crushed tortilla chips
- Combine 1 C flour, yeast, sugar, onion and salt and mix well.
- Add warm water (110-115 degrees) and oil to flour mixture
- Mix by hand until almost smooth
- Stir in chips and enough flour to make a stiff batter.
- Spread in a greased 10 inch pie pan and form a rim
- Cover and let rise for about 10 minutes.
- Add meat.
- Bake at 375 for 30- 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes