I have so many wonderful new recipes to share with you from my Mummies Night Out I don’t know where to start.
I decided to start with dessert – you know the saying – “Life’s short, eat dessert first!”
I did three different desserts for the party so of course one of them had to be chocolate. You can not have a party for all women and not have at least one chocolate dessert.
My son Clark has a friend who recently started a blog. She is a girl after my own heart – her blog is all about cupcakes and muffins, two of my favorite things! Lizzy is a student at BYU in Utah and is an Oregon girl too and she loves to bake. She started baking in high school and now as she is away at college she continues to bake. My son is the lucky recipient of many of her baking projects! She blogs at Your Cup of Cake. Go over and say hi and let her know Your Homebased Mom sent you!
I tried two of Lizzy’s recipes for my party(you’ll get the other one on Muffin Monday)
I decided her Oreo Cupcakes would be the perfect chocolate dessert.
And besides that, I thought they would look perfect on my new spider web tiered serving piece I found at Joanne’s for 50 percent off!
Not only is there chocolate cake covered in cream cheese frosting (yum!) but hidden inside of each cupcake is a surprise – an Oreo!
Half the Oreo, the half with the frosting goes into the bottom of the muffin wrapper (frosting side up) and the other half is used on the top of the cupcake. The recipe calls for milk but I used buttermilk. For some reason I had FOUR containers of buttermilk in my refrigerator – don’t ask me why, I have no idea but I decided I needed to use some of it up!
I didn’t think of this until the day after the party but what do those Oreo cookies stuck in the frosting look like? I think it would make the perfect tombstone! Just take some white icing and write RIP on it and you’ve got the perfect Halloween party treat – tombstone cupcakes. Wish I had thought of that about 24 hours earlier!!!
So if you need to take a treat to a Halloween party this weekend give these Oreo cupcakes a try. Even if you don’t have a party to go to you will want to make some Oreo cupcakes!
- Devils Food cake mix (or and chocolate flavor)
- Eggs (amount specified on back of cake mix box)
- Oil (amount specified on back of cake mix box)
- Water (1/2- ⅓ of the amount specified on the box)
- Milk or Buttermilk(1/2-2/3 of the “water” amount specified on the box)
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 24 Oreos
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ C butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 C powdered sugar
- Turn on oven to 350 degrees
- Carefully pull Oreos apart and place one in each cupcake liner cream side up
- Mix together eggs, oil, milk and water until combined and add to cake mix (for easy mixing, sift cake mix)
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔-3/4 full over Oreos
- Tap the pan gently on the counter to allow the batter to settle (If not, the cupcakes will have tall peaks from the Oreos at the bottom.)
- Bake according to back of cake mix box
- It may not take the full baking time
- Combine cream cheese and butter and whip until light and smooth
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar until desired consistency and taste
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!