We eat a lot of Mexican food at our house.
We also eat a lot of rice at our house, especially with Mexican food. One of my favorite rice recipes is for Lime Cilantro Rice.
I also love the red rice you get in most Mexican restaurants. The only problem is I haven’t been able to find a recipe for that type of rice that I really like. I usually end up going to our local neighborhood Mexican restaurant and buying rice to go with what I am fixing for dinner.
Recently, my friend Sherra’s twin girls graduated from high school. They had a taco bar for their graduation party and Sherra told me about her friend Ann’s Mexican rice recipe she was making. Of course I asked for the recipe!
We had fabulous fajitas for dinner last night so I tried out the rice recipe.
I commented at the dinner table that I thought it tasted just as good as the rice we get from our favorite Mexican restaurant – one of the kids said “It’s better!!”
So I think I finally have found a Mexican rice recipe! Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 C long grain white rice
- 2 C chicken broth
- 1 small can tomato juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet
- Add the rice
- Stir frequently and slightly brown the rice (more like, make it tan) over a medium high heat
- Add the chicken broth
- Add the tomato juice
- Add some salt and pepper
- Stir thoroughly
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover tightly with a lid
- (I 'stir' the mixture several times while it's cooking by just shaking/moving the skillet back and forth so that I don't take the lid off.)
- Simmer/cook for about 20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, turn off the heat and leave mixture alone with the lid on it for another 10-15 minutes or so
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!