Like many of you I have an overabundance of zucchini right now. What is it with zucchini anyway that makes it so prolific!?
While the girls were home the last two weeks I put Cali to work in the kitchen and she tried out a bunch of new zucchini bread recipes. We had blueberry zucchini bread, zucchini bread with chocolate chips and then since Cali can’t have wheat so she made a gluten free version too.
The result was a lot of loaves of zucchini bread so Cali wrapped them up and then paid a visit to some of our neighbors!
All the varieties were delicious and I was surprised how good the gluten free version was. Since I know several of you out there cook gluten free or probably know someone who is gluten free I thought it would be fun to share the recipe with you. So even if you don’t cook gluten free make a loaf for someone who does!
If you don’t regularly cook gluten free there are a few ingredients you probably don’t have in your kitchen but a quick trip to a store that has a decent health food department (Fred Meyer here in Oregon) you should be able to find everything you need. Our Winco also carries rice flour in the bulk food section. Bob’s Red Mill carries a great line of gluten free products too. If you know someone who cooks gluten free they will probably have rice flour, xanthan gum and tapioca flour on hand and I’m sure they would love to lend you some if you return it in the form of a delicious loaf of gluten free zucchini bread!
This recipe came from Easy Gluten Free Living.
- 2 eggs
- ½ C vegetable oil
- 1 C sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla (be sure it is pure vanilla, not all vanilla extracts are gluten free)
- 1½ C shredded zucchini (I did it in my food processor)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1½ C all purpose gluten free flour mix (see below)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil in a bowl. Add vanilla and mix. In another bowl add together flour,baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon,cloves and xanthan gum.
- Add dry ingredients into wet and stir by hand to mix well. Add zucchini and stir to combine.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake in a 350 oven for 60 minutes or so until a toothpick comes out clean.
- C white rice flour
- /2 C tapioca flour
- /2 C cornstarch
- Place all ingredients into a plastic bag or a bowl and blend together well.