This week was our twice a month Activity Day for the 8-11 year old girls at church. When I asked them what were some of the things they wanted to learn in Activity Days one of the answers I got from quite of few of them was cook/bake. So this week we decided to teach them to make pies. We made French Crumb Apple Pie.
Teaching 9 girls how to make a pie in one hour is a little overwhelming. My first word of advice is – get help! I have a co-leader who was there and then we asked one of the moms to stay and help and I am so glad she was there!.
I wanted each of the girls to be able to go home with a pie -ready to put in their oven and bake so their family could enjoy it. Thanks to a lot of help we were able to do that.
The focus of the activity was to learn how to make a good pie crust. I used my Perfect Pie Crust Tutorial and the tips I share with you there to teach the girls.
Each of the girls brought a bowl, a rolling pin, butter, shortening and apples. I provided the flour and the other ingredients need for the pie. We had a little lesson in the best way to measure flour which is scoop and level.
The girls weren’t afraid to jump in and get their hands dirty!
I think they were pretty proud of themselves and had a great time. Let’s just say my kitchen was a wee bit dirty but the girls had fun!!
The pie was delicious and was perfect with a scoop of ice cream and I got several emails from mom’s letting me know how much their family enjoyed french apple crumb pie that night!!
For some other delicious apple recipes check out these:
- 1 perfect pie crust tutorial
- Recipe makes two pie crusts, only need one for pie
- 6-7 C sliced, peeled apples (about 7) I like to use a tart apple such as granny smith
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/3 C butter
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C flour
- Combine apples, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and toss to coat apples. Place apples in unbaked pie crust. Top with French Crumb Topping. Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender. If pie begins to brown too much cover with a piece of foil and remove for the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Mix together butter and sugar. Add in flour and combine until crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of apples in the pie plate.