Last week I attended the “Angel Tree Project,” an event sponsored by the Oregon Chapter of American Mothers. I am currently serving as one of the Vice Presidents for the Oregon Chapter. It is a wonderful group that encourages, supports and recognizes mothers and families. Please check out their website for more info – they have chapters in other states also. As part of the “Angel Tree Project” we purchase and wrap gifts for children of prison inmates. Following the gift wrapping we had a potluck luncheon. I had cut out a new recipe for a Winter Chopped Salad the previous Tuesday from the Oregonian’s FoodDay. Tuesday is my favorite day to read the paper because of the FoodDay section! I decided to give the new recipe a try.
Well – it was a huge hit – it was quick and easy to prepare and everyone loved it. Because it has chicken in it all you need to do is add a loaf of crunchy, yummy bread and you have a complete meal. The girls tasted the leftovers I brought home and liked it so much they asked me to make it for dinner too.
In addition to tasting good, it is also a pretty salad. The red from the radicchio and the dried cranberries add great color and who doesn’t like to eat pretty food (so don’t skimp on the radicchio!)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 head radicchio, cored and finely chopped
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds of cooked chicken breasts, skin and bones removed, cut into 1 inch dice (about 2-3 cups) (I was short on time so I bought the precooked "Just Chicken" from the deli section of Trader Joe's - it is so moist and yummy!)
- 1 fuji, gala, or pink lady apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup candied pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped (you can also purchase these at Trader Joe's or it is easy to candy your own!)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue or Gorgonzola cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, honey, oil and salt and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Place the radicchio, romaine, chicken, apple, cranberries, nuts and cheese in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with pepper, if desired and serve