Note: If you missed the fun giveaway I posted yesterday be sure and check it out – I’d love to win it!
So if you are like me the last thing you want to do the day after Thanksgiving is cook! You with me on that one?
Hopefully you’ve got a refrigerator full of leftovers and everyone can just help themselves today! If you are looking for something to do with that leftover Turkey check out my guest post over at Thirty Handmade Days and the Italian Turkey Soup I’m sharing.
If you aren’t lucky enough to have a refrigerator full of leftovers today’s recipe for Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken is so easy. You will feel like you really didn’t cook.
Besides being easy it is also so delicious! This recipe was one of my good Pinterest finds. I think I am batting about 50/50 with recipes I find on Pinterest. Half are great and half aren’t so great! This one is great and came from The Comfort of Cooking.
This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken thighs of which I am a big fan. They are inexpensive and I think they are more flavorful and moist than chicken breasts. I especially like them better in a crock pot because they don’t tend to dry out as much as chicken breasts do. But I know there are people who just don’t like chicken thighs so you can totally use chicken breasts in this recipe too.
The chicken gets put in the crock pot with a sauce of onion, garlic, honey ketchup, soy sauce, oil, and red pepper flakes.
Use 6-8 thighs or 4 breasts. You want about 2 pounds of meat.
Let it cook on low for 3-4 hours or 2 hours on high. Then remove the meat and shred it.
You are also going to use the sauce that is left in the pot.
Put the sauce into a sauce pan. Add in 1/3 C of water with 4 tsp cornstarch mixed in into the sauce pan. Stir to combine and then cook over medium high head for about ten minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 2 chicken breasts (about 2 lbs total)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 C onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C honey
- 1/4 C ketchup
- 1/2 C soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 C water
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Put chicken in crock pot. Season with salt and pepper
- In a bowl combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes.
- Pour over chicken
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours
- Remove chicken and shred.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water.
- Pour sauce in crock pot into a sauce pan and add in the cornstarch mixture.
- Stir to combine over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Stirring often.
- Pour over chicken.
- Serve over rice
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.