Since blueberry season is in full swing here in Oregon and I still had blueberries left over from my Saturday morning trip to the Farmer’s Market today’s recipe was the perfect fit.
I love berry pies – all kinds.
Just like the Marionberry Bars I posted last summer, these Blueberry Crumb Bars are almost like eating a berry pie – just in the form of a bar! And if you haven’t tried the Marionberry Bars you are definitely going to want to do that!! They are so good. If you don’t have access to marionberries just use blackberries.
Just like the blueberry muffins I shared on Monday, these bars can be made with fresh or frozen berries. If you use frozen berries, just thaw and drain them good.
The berries are sandwiched between two yummy layers of sugar and butter – yum!
They cut nicely and will wrap up individually just great!
What’s your favorite thing to do with blueberries?
- 1 C white sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 C cold butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 C. fresh blueberries
- ½ C white sugar
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder
- Mix in salt and lemon zest
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg
- Dough will be crumbly
- Pat half of dough into the prepared pan
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice
- Gently mix in the blueberries
- Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust
- Crumble remaining dough over the top
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown
- Cool completely before cutting into squares