Apple Strudel Muffins are full of apples and cinnamon chips and then topped with a delicious strudel mixture. They taste just like Fall but are good anytime of year.
What is it about Fall that just says apples, cinnamon and nutmeg?
When I asked for muffin recipes on my very first Muffin Monday post, Cheryl graciously sent me the link to this recipe that is on her blog. She has a food blog that she does with her three sisters and her mother – how fun is that. The recipe originally came from AllRecipes.
The recipe calls for diced apple and grated apple. I only had two apples so I just diced them both. The muffins were delicious but I think next time I would definitely add the 3rd apple – the more apple the better.
The recipe also calls for cinnamon chips. I could not find any cinnamon chips at the 3 stores I went too. I think it may be just a little early in the holiday baking season. I usually see them near Christmas though. So I got a little creative and I went to our local Great Harvest Bakery where they make delicious cinnamon chip bread and asked them if they would sell me a pound of their cinnamon chips – and they would! Their chips are small, even smaller than a mini-chocolate chip. They worked great in the recipe but I think a full size chip would be a bit nicer – I like the idea of biting into a burst of cinnamon. I’m thinking of throwing a handful of those chips into pancakes, oatmeal cookies etc.
Just be sure and keep them in the freezer or refrigerator because if they get warm at all you will end up with one big huge cinnamon chip!
The only other change I made was that I used my Penzey Baking Spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg – used 1 teaspoon. If you have a Penzey’s near you be sure and check out it. We now have a second one in Portland – located much closer to me in the Pearl District!
These Apple Strudel Muffins were a big hit at Muffin Monday and I know they will be making an appearance again!
Apple Strudel Muffins}Muffin Monday
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 3 apples peeled (1-shredded and 2 chopped)(I used Galas)
- 1/2 C cinnamon chips
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg (or Penzey's Baking Spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg).
- In another bowl, beat the butter, sugars and eggs together until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add in apples and cinnamon chips.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture. Note that this is a thick batter.
- Spoon the mixture into greased or lined muffin pan.
- In another small bowl combine the topping ingredients: brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until mixture is like course crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!