This is the only cheese ball recipe you will ever need. The BEST Cheese ball recipe ever. The combination of flavors is amazing.
I grew up in the era of cheese balls. Every dinner party and holiday party had a cheese ball in the 60’s and 70’s. Now the charcuterie board has replaced the cheese ball but I think a good cheeseball is the perfect thing to add to your cheeseboard!
Why You are Going to Love This Perfect Cheeseball
This particular cheese ball has a lot of flavor going on. I highly recommend using all the flavors, even if you think you don’t like one of them. This recipe uses a blue cheese dressing, I don’t like blue cheese at all but the combination of it with all the other flavors makes this cheese ball the BEST so I didn’t skip it. You might not like pimento or black olive but they help make this cheese ball work.
This recipe makes two balls, so you can serve one and wrap one up to share with a neighbor.
- Cheese. You will need sharp cheddar cheese, Onion and chive cream cheese and regular cream cheese.
- Lighthouse Chunky Blue Cheese dressing
- Black olives. You can buy them chopped or chop them yourself.
- Pimento. You will find this near the olives.
- Garlic. Use a dried granulated garlic or garlic powder
- Accent seasoning. This is a specific brand and is considered a flavor enhancer.
- Almonds. Could also use chopped pecans.
What are Cheeseballs made of?
- Cream Cheese is the base for most cheese balls. This recipe calls for regular cream cheese as well as a flavored cream cheese, onion and chive.
- Cheddar cheese is commonly used in most cheese balls. This is the cheese that gives the cheese ball flavor so I have found that sharp works best.
How Do You Make a Cheese ball Recipe?
- Combine all your ingredients together except the almonds and form into two balls. I use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment to bring everything together but it can be done by hand in a bowl with a wooden spoon or with a hand mixer.
- Divide mixture in half and form each half into a round ball or log shape.
- Wrap in each one in plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill. Chill overnight if possible.
- Before serving, roll in ground almonds.
How to Shape a Cheese ball?
You can get creative here with how you shape your cheese ball recipe. I usually just make mine round but you can also make them into different shapes.
For a football watching party, shape it like a football. For Halloween, make it look like a pumpkin. A wreath shape for Christmas would work with a few cranberries for garnish or you can also shape it like a log for any occasion!
Frequently Asked Questions
To freeze a cheese ball, wrap it well in plastic wrap before adding the nuts. Place it in a freezer safe ziplock bag and freeze for up to one month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before adding the nuts and serving.
Tips for making an easy cheese ball recipe
- Be sure to wrap the cheese ball up tightly in plastic wrap while storing in the fridge. I often wrap it in aluminum foil too to make sure it is air tight. Air will dry out the cheese ball.
- Add your outer coating right before serving. I like to use crushed almonds.
- Allow the cheese ball to sit at room temperature for a bit before serving. It will make it easier to spread on your crackers.
What to Serve with a Cheeseball
- Assortment of crackers
- Sliced baguette
- Veggies (carrots, cucumbers, celery, bell peppers)
- Pita Chips
- Tortilla Chips
- Turkey or Ham slices
- Fruit (berries or grapes)
Make sure to check out more of my favorite recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
The BEST Cheese Ball
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 oz. onion and chive cream cheese softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 6 oz. Lighthouse Chunky Blue Cheese dressing
- 2.1 oz. black olives chopped
- 4 oz. pimento diced
- 1/2 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp Accent seasoning
- 1 cup almonds finely chopped
- Combine all ingredients except for almonds and mix well. You may need to use your hands to do this! You want to make sure all the flavors are well mixed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator over night.
- After chilling, divide mixture into two cheese balls. At this point you can roll in chopped almonds and serve or wrap up again and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Be sure it is airtight. Cover with almonds right before serving.