This Sweet & Sour Salad has the perfect amount of tang and the perfect amount of sweet!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I originally shared this recipe in July of 2010. It was one of the dishes I had served at my mom’s 80th birthday party. It was a nice addition to the salad buffet at the party. The dressing has a nice sweet and tangy flavor to it.
It is also an easy one to add chicken to and make into a main dish. A perfect lunch or dinner in the summer.
- Sweet Onions
- Bacon or Ham
- Swiss Cheese
Sweet and Sour Dressing Ingredients
- Dry Mustard
- White Vinegar
- Canola Oil
- Poppy Seeds
How to Make Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing
- Pour White Vinegar, Sugar, Dry Mustard, and Salt into a blender.
- Blend on low while slowly pouring in oil.
- Once well plended, add in poppy seeds and give a quick stir.
- Add dressing to salad just before serving or store leftover dressing in a glass container in the refrigerator.
- This recipe uses grapes, but it also works well with mandarin oranges and pineapple.
- To make the salad a main dish salad, you can add cooked chicken or substitute the bacon for diced ham.
- This is a great salad to make ahead. Wash and cut all fruit and vegetables and make the dressing ahead of time. The day of, combine ingredients in a salad bowl and slice the avocado.
Check out more of my favorite salad recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Sweet and Sour Salad
- 12 oz Lettuce and spinach washed and torn into pieces
- 1/2 c Mushrooms fresh and thinly sliced
- 1/4 Sweet Onions purple, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado sliced in small pieces
- 4 slices bacon or ham cooked and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 c Swiss cheese grated
- 1/2 grapes you can substitute mandarin oranges or pineapple
Sweet and Sour Dressing
- 5/8 c sugar one heaping 1/2 cup/
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 C white vinegar
- 1 C canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- Wash and tear spinach and lettuce into pieces and combine with diced mushrooms, diced avocados, crumbled bacon, sliced grapes, and grated cheese.
Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing
- Blend all salad dressing ingredients, except poppy seeds together.
- Then add poppy seeds and stir.
- Add dressing to salad at the last minute and toss gently or store in a glass container in the refrigerator.