Peanut Butter Sheet Cake is perfect for your summer cookbooks, BBQ’s and potlucks. Summer is still going strong and so is this peanut butter sheet cake.
Sheet cakes are the perfect summer dessert. They are easy to make, taste great and feed a crowd. Summer is heating up here in the Pacific NW and we’ve had record breaking temperatures. Summer arrives late here but when it does, it arrives!
Nothing beats a good sheetcake for a summer cookout or potluck. Texas Sheet Cake is a classic for summer BBQ’s and I love my Almond Sheet Cake too. Today’s recipe for Peanut Butter Sheet Cake is another one to add to the sheet cake repertoire. It really rounds out the flavor selection.
I served this recently at a neighborhood get together and the first question asked was , “Is the recipe on the blog?” When I told them it wasn’t yet, the reply was, “it better be soon!” I think they liked it!
I use my big 10 x 15″ jelly roll pan. Everyone needs at least one of these in their kitchen. I have four! The recipe calls for buttermilk which I prefer but if you don’t have any, regular milk will do or make your own by adding some vinegar to the milk. Use 1 Tbsp vinegar to 1 cup milk to make your own buttermilk.
Always frost a sheet cake warm. The frosting soaks into the cake a bit which is so yummy.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t seem to eat peanut butter without chocolate so I added a chocolate drizzle to the top of the cake. I just melted some chocolate chips but you could also use some fudge sauce if you have it hanging around! Non-chocolate lovers (is there such a thing?), can leave it off and add some crushed peanuts for nice touch to the top too with or without the chocolate drizzle. Or go all out and add both the chocolate drizzle and the crushed peanuts.
Has summer wrapped up for you or is it still going strong?
Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup peanut butter creamy
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips semi sweet
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup peanuts crushed, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease jelly roll pan
- In a bowl, mix together flour, sugars, baking soda and salt.
- In a saucepan, combine water, 1 cup butter and bring to a boil. Add in peanut butter and mix until blended.
- Stir in dry ingredients. Add in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir until the peanut butter mixture is well blended.
- Spread into greased pan and bake for 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, bring butter, peanut butter and milk to a boil.
- Add in sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
- Frost cake while warm. Spread frosting in an even layer. Drizzle with chocolate or sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
- Melt all ingredients in a double boiler over hot but not boiling water. Stir until smooth
- Drizzle over frosted cake
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.