Today’s recipe is the final cupcake from our cupcake bar at our recent graduation party.
I have to be honest though. I didn’t eat one. They disappeared too fast. So I guess that is a good sign.
I did try the frosting though and let’s just say the cupcake is worth eating, if only for the frosting.
My friend Lizzy who helped me frost all the cupcakes gave me a lesson in how to swirl two different frostings together. She made up a big batch of cream cheese frosting and then added peanut butter to it and then took out half and added chocolate.
Here is how you get that nice clean line between the two frostings when you swirl them together.
Put the two frostings into their individual plastic decorating bag. (I used plastic disposable ones)
Then place the two bags into one really big disposable decorating bag.
Place the tip over the point of the two bags inside the larger bag. Holding the bag upright start squeezing!
Move your tip in a circular movement
Until you get a nice little mountain of frosting.
Then lift your tip straight up.
We garnished the top of each cupcake with half of a miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup – even more chocolaty peanut butter goodness.
The process is really quite simple but looks so amazing and complicated.
If you are fan of chocolate and peanut butter together you are going to love these cupcakes. The cake part is also a combination of peanut butter batter swirled with chocolate batter.
Peanut Butter – Chocolate Twist Cupcakes
- 1/2 C butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C creamy peanut butter
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C milk
- 4 oz. milk chocolate melted
- 1 recipe Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 recipe Chocolate Frosting
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/2 C creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 2-4 tsp of milk until desired consistency
- 1/2 of peanut butter frosting
- 1/2 C cocoa or more to desired taste
- Beat until well combined.
- Bring butter and eggs to room temperature
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl beat butter for about 30 seconds and then add in peanut butter until well combined Add in brown sugar and granulated sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time
- Beat on medium speed until mixed together well
- Scraping sides of bowl beat for an additional 2 minutes or until fluffy
- Add in eggs, beating well after each one
- Add in vanilla
- Add in flour and milk alternating, beat on low speed after each addition
- Put half of batter into another bowl, add in melted chocolate
- Beat on low until well combined
- Fill lined muffin cups with half peanut butter batter and half chocolate batter
- Fill cup about 2/3 full
- Use a knife to swirl the batter in each cup
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool cupcakes before frosting
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese, peanut butter and vanilla until light and fluffy
- Gradually add in powdered sugar
- Add milk, 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency
- Divide into two portions
- Set aside one for the Chocolate Frosting
- Mix until well combined
- Fill decorating bags with each frosting
- Put both bags into one large bag and add desired tip
- Pipe onto cupcakes
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.