Mother’s Day is fast approaching. I have to admit that when my children were younger it was not one of my favorite holidays. The day usually seemed to end up a little less than I had hoped for and expected. Dad would be grumpy in the kitchen trying to get the kids to help fix dinner for mom but the kids were grumpy too which would make mom grumpy. I would sit in church and listen to the speakers extol the virtues of their mother and feel guilty for not being a better mother and being grumpy. And then after the meeting they would ask all the mothers to stand up and they would bring us an ugly flower (usually a carnation or a primrose) that usually ended up dead in a day or two which made me grumpy!
On Father’s Day (when the women were in charge) they always got some yummy treat – chocolate, a cookie or even fun, flavored popcorn. We just got ugly flowers. Why didn’t we get a yummy treat?
I decided to ask on Facebook, “If you could pick one food treat to have on Mother’s Day what would it be?” I loved the response of “calorie free, but yet decadent and delicious.” Chocolate dipped fruit, crepes with fresh berries and cream, scones, bread pudding and strawberry cheesecake were some of the choices.
Well, if I was in charge of treats for Mother’s Day at church this year I would make today’s treat for every mother. A Mini Orange Poppyseed Bundt Cake Recipe! I would also wrap it up pretty.
I have made this cake in a regular bundt pan and in my mini bundt pans and it is delicious either way.
There is just something about miniature, personal serving size food that makes it taste better. Don’t you agree? Who doesn’t love their very own, individual cake!? You get to eat the whole thing by yourself and not share with anyone. That is one thing mothers don’t get to do very often – eat the whole thing themselves!!
These little cakes are full of orange flavor. Orange zest, orange juice and I added a few drops of doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil that just takes the orange flavor to the next level. There is orange in the cake, in the glaze you brush over the top and in the drizzle!
Now we couldn’t very well just hand the moms a little bundt cake all by itself now could we?! No, we need to dress it up pretty. I made a trip to my local Michael’s craft store and picked up a few supplies that made it quick and easy.
Every gift needs a gift tag so I used some scrapbook paper I had also picked up at Michael’s and created a little paper rosette to put on the tag. For directions on how to make paper rosettes check out this post.
I then added a decorative edge to the tag with a Martha Stewart Craft Edge Punch from Michael’s.
Orange Poppyseed Bundt Cake
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 T. poppy seeds
- 4 eggs
- 1 C milk
- 1/2 C fresh orange juice
- zest of a large orange about 2 Tbsp.
- 1 C oil
- 2 C sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 drops doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- 1/4 C fresh orange juice
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 drops doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- 1 C powdered sugar
- enough orange juice to make it the right consistency to drizzle
- 1-2 drops doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- Note: The Wild Orange essential oils may be left out but it does enhance the orange flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together eggs and sugar and beat until fluffy
- Add oil, milk, juice, vanilla and essential oil. Mix until combined
- Add in flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds and orange zest
- Mix until incorporated.
- Pour into a greased bundt pan or mini bundt pan (makes 12)
- Bake full size pan and small pans about 12-15 or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking combine glaze ingredients and place in a small saucepan and heat until thickened. About 3-4 minutes.
- After cake is done remove from pan and prick all over with a skewer or toothpick.
- Brush glaze over top and sides of cake while it is still hot.
- Allow cake to cool
- Drizzle with powdered sugar and OJ mixture. Be sure drizzle is stiff enough not to run all over.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.