Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes are a delicious and refreshing. They taste just like a creamsicle ice cream treat!
The recipe uses orange gelatin in combination with real orange juice and zest and it makes for just the right amount of orange flavor. And the frosting on these cupcakes is over the top yummy!
What is Creamsicle?
These cupcakes remind of my favorite childhood treat, a creamsicle! Creamsicle, or dreamsicle, is a frozen treat combination of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream. Put tehse cupcakes at the top of your list if you are a So, if you are a creamsicle fan.
How to Make Orange Cupcakes
- Combine the dry ingredients – cake mix, gelatin (minus 2 tsp which is reserved for the frosting), pudding mix.
- Add in orange juice, eggs and oil and vanilla.
- Stir to combine.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Orange Frosting Recipe
- Allow butter and cream cheese to sit at room temperature and soften for at least an hour.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until soft and creamy.
- Mix in orange zest, reserved orange gelatin, vanilla and enough powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with sprinkles if desired
Do I Need To Refrigerate Cream Cheese Frosting?
You should always refrigerate any cake or cupcake made with cream cheese frosting. It can set at room temperature for several hours though to warm up and does not need to be served cold.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
- 1 3 oz. package orange flavored gelatin
- 1 15 oz. white cake mix
- 1 3 oz. cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice fresh squeezed and zest from one orange for frosting
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5-6 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp orange gelatin reserved
- orange food coloring if desired
- white sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cupcake pan with liners (makes about 24-27 cupcakes)
- Set aside 2 tsp of the orange gelatin for frosting
- In a bowl mix together the remaining gelatin, cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, eggs, oil and vanilla
- Fill muffin cups with batter – about 2/3 full
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean
- Cool cupcakes before frosting
- Soften cream cheese and butter at room temperature for at least 30 minutes
- In a large bowl beat butter, cream cheese, reserved gelatin, orange zest and vanilla until light and fluffy
- Add in powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved
- Add in orange food coloring if desired for additional color
- Frost cupcakes and top with white sprinkles