One of the new recipes I tried for the Sail Away party was Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes. I am a total sucker for anything with the word creamsicle in the title! I picked a fun new cupcake magazine at the grocery store and there are so many I want to try but I knew as soon as I saw it that the Orange Creamsicle would be the first.
The frosting on these cupcakes is over the top yummy! It is an orange cream cheese, so good.
The recipe uses orange gelatin in combination with real orange juice and it makes for just the right amount of orangeness.
The recipe calls for tinting the frosting orange but since orange didn’t really go with the color scheme of the party I just left the frosting white and added some fun little white sprinkles.
This cupcake and it ‘s lovely orangeness would be perfect for lots of different events – a wedding, baby or bridal shower, birthday or just because. I vote for just because.
If you are an orange creamsicle fan put these at the top of your To Try list! Don’t worry the recipe for the chocolate peanut butter cupcakes is coming next week.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
- 1 3 oz. package orange flavored gelatin
- 1 2 layer size white cake mix
- 1 small box of cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 1/4 C orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5-6 C powdered sugar
- Reserved orange gelatin
- 1 tsp finely shredded orange peel
- orange food coloring if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cupcake pan with liners (makes about 24-27 cupcakes)
- Set aside 2 tsp of the orange gelatin for frosting
- In a bowl mix together the remaining gelatin, cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, eggs, oil and vanilla
- Fill muffin cups with batter - about 2/3 full
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean
- Cool cupcakes before frosting
- Soften cream cheese and butter at room temperature for at least 30 minutes
- In a large bowl beat butter, cream cheese, reserved gelatin, orange peel and vanilla until light and fluffy
- Add in powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved
- Add in orange food coloring if desired