Lemon Angel Pie with meringue crust is a little taste of heaven that has been our family favorite for almost 40 years. A lovely, light lemon filling on a meringue crust that is perfect for Easter or any time.
I also have a small batch version of this recipe, the perfect amount for two people.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
Lemon Angel Pie is an all time favorite at our house, hands down my favorite dessert ever!! The combination of light lemon filling and meringue crust is unbeatable. And it has definitely stood the test of time, we have been enjoying this recipe for almost 40 years!
I first had Lemon Angel Pie when my oldest boy was only 4 years old and he now has a little boy of his own! I was at a Preschool Board Meeting and the woman hosting the meeting served this as dessert, as soon as I took my first bite I knew I had to have the recipe. I’ve been making it ever since.
Gluten Free Dessert Recipe
It is also is naturally gluten free since there is no flour in it and it is perfect for any gluten free family or friends. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- Sugar. Granulated sugar
- Eggs. Separate the eggs when they are chilled and then allow to come to room temperature.
- Cream of Tartar. This acts as a stabilizer in your meringue
- Lemons. You will use the juice and the zest.
- Whipping Cream. I prefer heavy cream.
How to Make Meringue Crust
- Use a clean and chilled bowl.
- Separate eggs. Be sure there is no egg yolk in your egg whites. Use room temperature egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add in sugar and cream of tartar.
- Beat until glossy and holds a stiff peak.
- Butter a 9 inch pie plate. I have made this pie many times when the egg whites didn’t get stiff and it looks more like thick white soup. That’s o.k.! Just pour it into the pan and it will be fine, I promise.
- Spread meringue along the bottom and the sides of the pie dish.
- Bake at 300 degrees F. for 45-60 minutes or until crust is dry looking. The crust will puff up as it cooks. As soon as you remove it from the oven it will begin to crack and fall. That is what it is suppose to do, making the perfect space for all the lovely lemon filling.
- Allow crust to cool while you make the filling.
How To Make Lemon Angel Pie
While the meringue crust is baking, you can make the filling.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind and salt into a microwave safe container and mix. Make sure the container is big enough as the mixture will expand as it cooks.
- Cook the mixture until thickened in microwave for 4 minutes (stir every 30 seconds) and allow to cool. You can also cook the mixture on the stove top. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Allow lemon curd to cool and come to room temperature. Place in the refrigerator to speed cooling if desired.
- Whip 2 cups of whipping cream until it form a soft peak in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Combine HALF of the whipped cream with the cooled lemon mixture and fold to combine.
- Fill meringue crust with lemon curd and whipped cream mixture.
- Top pie with remaining whipped cream. No need to sweeten the whipped cream as the pie is very sweet.
- Refrigerate pie overnight, the meringue pie shell will soften making it easier to cut.
The pie is so light and wonderful it literally melts in your mouth. It is the perfect ending to any meal, especially Easter dinner when you just need something light and lovely.
Frequently Asked Questions
This dessert needs to be made a day ahead of time so it has time to sit in the refrigerator overnight. I don’t recommend making it more than one day ahead as the meringue softens the longer it sits.
Your weather will effect how well your egg whites stiffen and I have made this dessert many times when they don’t stiffen up and it looks more like thick white soup. That’s o.k.! Just pour it into the pan and it will be fine, I promise.
Yes, it is suppose to do that – don’t worry!
Check out these other delicious desserts:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Lemon Angel Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs separated, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups whipping cream.
- Beat egg whites until white and fluffy.
- Add in sugar gradually and cream of tartar.
- Beat until stiff but not dry (it’s o.k if this doesn’t happen)
- Pour into a buttered 9″ deep dish glass pie dish and press up against the sides
- Bake meringue crust at 300 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- Take 4 egg yolks and beat slightly.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Cook until thickened in microwave for 4 minutes (stir every 30 seconds) Cool.
- Whip 2 cups whipping cream and fold 1/2 of whip cream into lemon mixture.
- Pour into cooled meringue shell. Top with the remaining whip cream. Chill for 24 hours.
Leave a Review