This homemade vanilla ice cream is my go to ice cream recipe. I use it as a starting point for all my favorite flavored ice creams.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
Because it’s the best homemade ice cream recipe ever!!
I am a plain jane when it comes to ice cream, my husband calls me boring but I love a good, simple vanilla ice cream. Every once in a while I will add a topping to it, maybe a few sprinkles but I love it plain the most. I have used this ice cream recipe for years and years. This recipe is the starting point for many of the other ice cream recipes here on the blog but it is definitely a stand alone ice cream! The taste and flavor are amazing.
- Milk. I use a combination of whole milk, heavy whipping cream and half and half. If you are unable to buy half and half where you live you can replace it with equal amounts of milk and heavy cream.
- Vanilla Extract.
Tips from Leigh Anne
- The key to a good vanilla ice cream is of course the type of vanilla that you use. Pure Vanilla Extract can be expensive but this ice cream is the time to splurge and use the good stuff. Since vanilla is your main flavor in this ice cream, you want it to be a good one. I always use pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste when making this ice cream.
How to Make Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl, whisking together and pour into ice cream machine.
- Churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Put ice cream into an insulated ice cream container like this and allow it to firm up in the freezer. You can enjoy it immediately but it will have more of a soft serve ice cream texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Stored in an airtight, insulated ice cream container it will last for a couple of weeks.
This homemade ice cream recipe is designed to be made in an ice cream maker and is not meant to be a no churn ice cream.
Favorite Ice Cream Add Ins
If I am going to add anything into my ice cream one of my favorite things is to add on are some sprinkles! Sprinkles just make me happy. Other choices include:
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Crushed up Oreos or other cookies
- Waffle Cone pieces
- Mini M & Ms
- Toffee Bits
- Malted Milk Balls or other candy
Some of our other favorite ice cream based desserts include:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups half & half half cream, half milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla use the good stuff
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Mix together all ingredients and pour into 2 qt. ice cream maker.
- Follow manufacturer’s directions.
- After ice cream has set up, stir in add in (mini chocolate chips, crushed cookies etc.)
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally posted in August 10, 2012.