Frozen Hot Chocolate is the perfect summertime treat. Icy double chocolate goodness topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
I first discovered frozen hot chocolate in New York City at the famous Serendipity Restaurant. I think I planned our whole New York trip around visiting that restaurant to try it. It totally lived up to it’s hype!
The great thing is, there is no trip to NYC necessary though in order to enjoy this delicious icy chocolate treat. You can make it at home with just five ingredients and about five minutes! The only other thing you need is a blender.
- Chocolate Chips. I used semi sweet but you could use milk chocolate if you prefer. You can also use chopped up chocolate rather than chips.
- Milk. I usually use 2 percent but you could use whole milk or 1 percent if you prefer. Use chocolate milk for even more chocolate goodness.
- Hot Cocoa Mix. Use your favorite brand. I used Nestle.
How to Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave,
- Stir in sugar, cocoa mix and 1/2 cup of milk.
- After it cools add in the rest of the milk and put it into your blender along with the ice.
- Pulse a few times and you have magic!
How to Serve
We love to top it with some whipped cream and sprinkles! You can also add a cherry if you like. If you want to make your own whipped cream, here is how I do it.
It is the perfect treat for a 90 degree day or any day really! No need for a trip to NYC when you’ve got this great recipe for making it right at home!
Frequently Asked Questions
This treat is best consumed right after making. If you do have leftovers you can keep them in the fridge for a couple hours or the freezer for up to a week but if freezing it you will want to reblend it when you are ready to enjoy it or else it will frozen solid.
I use a high powered VitaMix and find you get the best texture with a high speed blender. You can use a regular blender but you will get a chunkier texture. If using a regular blender, use crushed ice if possible.
I usually use semi-sweet chocolate chips. It helps balance out the sweetness of the drink but if you love milk chocolate, use that. It will just be a sweeter drink, but that is not necessarily a bad thing! You can use chocolate chips, baking chocolate, or chocolate bars. Anything that melts well.
Check out more hot chocolate recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cups chocolate chips or 4 oz of chocolate
- 2 Tbsp hot cocoa mix
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup milk divided
- 3 cup ice cubes
- sweetened whipped cream
- chocolate sprinkles optional
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and melt in a glass container in microwave for 10-20 second intervals until melted.
- Add in hot cocoa mix and sugar to melted chocolate. Mix until blended.
- Add in 1/2 C milk, stir until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature
- In blender, place remaining milk, cooled chocolate mixture and ice cubes
- Blend on high speed until smooth and consistency of a frozen daiquiri
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.