It’s summer and that means ice cream. Nothing better than a batch of fresh strawberry ice cream on a warm summer day. (Jump to Recipe)
You may have noticed a bit of a strawberry theme on the blog lately! We’ve had a record strawberry crop this year and I’ve gone a little strawberry crazy. I’ve even had enough strawberries to freeze some for later. You can check out my tips for freezing strawberries here.
We’ve been enjoying all our strawberry favorites including Strawberry Pizza, an old family favorite and Strawberry Sour Cream Cake which is becoming a new family favorite. Today’s recipe is also another old family favorite and it is one that my mother use to make. This recipe for strawberry ice cream came from an old family friend and is amazing.
Nothing says summer better than a batch of homemade ice cream – especially when it is full of strawberries.
How to Make Strawberry Ice Cream
- Prepare your strawberries. Wash and hull your strawberries first. I love using this little tool to quickly hull my strawberries. Then you can mash your strawberries with a potato masher if you like larger chunks of strawberry in your ice cream or you can pulse them in your food processor if you don’t want chunks. I usually pulse the berries once or twice in the food processor so they are somewhere in the middle. I like little pieces of strawberry but not big ones in my ice ream.
- Combine your ingredients. Add your berries with your milk and sugar. The recipe uses a combination of whole milk and whipping cream.
- Pour your mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturers directions. This recipe is also delicious made with other kinds of berries such as raspberries, blackberries, marionberries, blueberries and a combination of berries would be great too!
- After the ice cream is done churning I put it into my favorite ice cream storage container and let it harden up in the freezer for several hours before serving.
Can I Use Frozen Berries Instead of Fresh?
The fresher the strawberries the better of course but this ice cream is also delicious with frozen berries but when you can use fresh please do!
What Ice Cream Maker Do You Use?
For other yummy ice cream recipes check out these:
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
- 4 C strawberries mashed
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 C Whipping cream
- 2 C whole milk
- Mash berries as desired
- Mix all ingredients together
- Pour into ice cream maker.
- Process according to manufacturer's directions
Originally posted June 14, 2013
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.