The green beans are on in the garden and these Caramelized Onion & Bacon Green Beans are my new favorite way to enjoy them.
Green beans have always been my favorite vegetable and for many years were the ONLY vegetable I would eat. I’ve grown up a little bit though but I still won’t eat peas!
Think you don’t like green beans? Think again! Combine them with caramelized onions and bacon and they are to die for! Get yourself some fresh green beans from the grocery store, the farmer’s market or a neighbor who just might have a surplus (me, if you live in my neighborhood!) and give these a try.
The onions are caramelized in brown sugar and balsamic vinegar, the flavor is amazing! Be sure and save some of the onions to put in the beans because you are just going to want to eat them right out of the pan. The same goes for the bacon – save some for the beans!
Do you not cook with fresh green beans because you don’t like snapping the ends off the beans? Use a knife. I just line them up on a cutting board and cut the ends off!
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans
- 5 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp butter divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add butter to pan and heat. Cook onions until they just begin to brown. Add in brown sugar and cook, stirring often until golden brown.
- Add in balsamic vinegar and stir to combine and deglaze the pan.
- Transfer onions to a bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter and add beans.
- Cook and stir until they begin to get brown spots and reach desired tenderness. About 8 minutes or so
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in caramelized onions and crumbled bacon.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.