Buttermilk chicken is lightly pan fried chicken topped with an amazing sweet tomato relish that takes this dish to a whole new level.
Chicken is a go to dinner at our house and we have lots of family favorites. This Sticky Coconut Chicken is one we have made for years. Sesame Chicken is another favorite at our house and this Huli Huli Chicken is always on repeat.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
I am not a fan of fried chicken, or at rather not a fan of making fried chicken. It just seems like a lot of work and messy.
This Buttermilk chicken is an easy version of fried chicken and not as messy. It is lightly breaded and then pan fried in just a little oil. Not only is it lighter, it is healthier.
You can serve it all on its own, but let me tell you – it is AMAZING when served with tomato relish. The relish takes it to a whole new level. Promise you will serve it with tomato relish!!
How to Make Buttermilk Chicken
Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and pound the chicken so that it is an even thickness. The recipe calls for four chicken breasts.
Place the chicken in buttermilk for an hour or two.
Lightly bread the chicken with some seasoned flour.
Pan fry them in a combination of olive oil and vegetable oil.
Cook until the chicken is cooked through and serve with sweet tomato relish.
This chicken is now ready to enjoy. My favorite way to serve it is with tomato relish. My husband rated the tomato relish a 14 out of 10. It is so good you want to serve it on everything.
How to Make Tomato Relish
- The relish is a combination of cherry tomatoes, sweet onion, olive oil, sugar and a little seasoning.
- Slice up your onion and cut your cherry tomatoes in half and put them in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Add in some white sugar, brown sugar and a little dried thyme and let it simmer and thicken for about 10 minutes or so. Use the back of your spoon to smash the tomatoes up a bit.
- After it has thickens it is ready to eat – by the spoon full or served on just about anything including buttermilk chicken.
Tomato Relish is the perfect way to use up an abundance of cherry tomatoes. It is so delicious I love to eat it all on it own!
It is also delicious served on the following:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
Buttermilk Chicken with Sweet Tomato Relish
Sweet Tomato Relish
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup sweet onion sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, pounded to about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Sweet Tomato Relish
- Heat olive oil in pan.
- Add sliced onion and cherry tomatoes
- Add in sugar and thyme
- Stir and simmer until thickened. About 15 minutes
- Smash tomatoes with back of spoon as it simmers
- Pound chicken breasts until about 1/2 inch thick and even
- Marinade in buttermilk for 1-2 hours
- Combine flour, salt and pepper into a shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and dip into flour, turning to coat both sides.
- Heat oil in large pan and add chicken.
- Cook chicken on both sides until cooked through
- Top and serve with sweet tomato relish
Originally posted May 25, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, party ideas and travel tips and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Leave a Review