I am one of those boring people that get the same thing every time they go to a restaurant. I have my favorite dish and I don’t deviate. I’m always afraid of being disappointed if I do. At California Pizza Kitchen I actually have two favorites that I alternate between. The first is their Sicilian Pizza and the one I get the most often is their Tricolore Salad Pizza. I love it!
For our Super Bowl Party I decided to recreate the Tricolore Salad Pizza at home. Lest you think we had some big party here for the Super Bowl, our party included Jim and I. And only Jim watched the game although I did watch a few commercials.
I used my homemade pizza dough for the Arugula Salad Pizza but you could also buy store bought pizza dough. I usually buy it at Trader Joes or Winco. The first time I made this I used whole wheat pizza dough but on Sunday I used just regular pizza dough. I love them both. One batch of pizza dough will make four pizzas.
This pizza is a thin crust pizza topped with olive oil, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, sliced cherry tomatoes and a bit of pepper. I roll the dough out on a counter with some cornmeal sprinkled over it. I roll it into a 6 x 12 inch rectangle. Then brush it with some olive oil and top with the cheese and tomatoes.
Bake it at 475 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.
I then topped it with some arugula and drizzled it with my favorite, go to balsamic vinaigrette.
I love pizza and salad and I love it even more when the two are combined.
If you wanted to add a little protein you could definitely add some cut up chicken, shrimp or whatever your favorite is.
- 1 lb. store bought pizza dough or homemade
- 1 C warm water
- 3 tsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 C bread flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 C fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella sliced
- 1 Tbsp cornmeal
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 C sliced cherry tomatoes
- 4 C arugula
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- Scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine yeast and sugar with warm water and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients into mixer and knead for 5 minutes until dough is smooth, will be a little sticky
- Allow to rise for at least one hour
- Divide dough into four parts.
- Roll out each part into a 6 x 12" rectangle
- Brush with olive oil
- Cover with slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and black pepper
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Top with arugula and drizzle with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Mix all ingredients together.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!