I’ve been in a bar cookie testing mode lately. I have an upcoming event that I am in charge of the refreshments for and I need four sweet treats and four savory treats. Quite a few recipes and calories later I think I about have the menu figured out. Today’s recipe for Sour Cream Apple Bars may be my favorite sweet treat on the menu.
Fall is in the air here in the Pacific NW (as well as the rain) so something with cinnamon and apples sounded perfect. This recipe is from one of my favorite recipe magazines – Best of Baking from the Land O’Lakes Recipe Collection from 2007. Usually when I get a magazine I may try one or two things from it but I have tried lots and lots of recipes from this one and have never been disappointed!
If anyone ever sees a new edition from Land O’Lakes let me know – I want a copy!
This bar has a creamy center thanks to the sour cream and a crispy top thanks to the nuts and oats. A perfect combination. The apples are shredded and mixed in with the sour cream layer. I ate more than my share of these yummy things and then cut up the rest and gave them away so I wouldn’t eat any more. I used Granny Smith apples.
- 1 C butter, softened
- 1 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 C uncooked quick cooking oats
- 1 C flour
- 1 C chopped pecans
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 C sour cream
- ¾ C sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 2 medium (about 2 cups) apples, unpeeled, shredded (I missed the unpeeled part and peeled mine)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine butter and brown sugar in large bowl
- Beat at medium speed until creamy
- Add remaining crust ingredients and beat until well mixed
- Press HALF of crust mixture onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9 pan
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown
- While crust is baking combine the filling ingredients; mix well
- Gently pour the filling over the hot, partially baked crust
- Crumble the remaining crust mixture over the top of the fill and press down lightly
- Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set
- Cut into bars
- Store refrigerated