Peppermint Melting Moments

We are still on a bit of a peppermint kick around our house.

My apologies to all those non-peppermint lovers who may be reading this.  But I bet you have a peppermint lover in your life somewhere that would love these peppermint melting moments.   Just think, you could make them for that person and not even be tempted to eat one.  Think about how many calories I am saving you!

Peppermint just tastes like Christmas to me.  Good thing I can at least taste Christmas because my house still is not decorated!  That’s what going out of town twice, a sprained finger, a cracked rib, a bruised tailbone (don’t ask,) a front page newspaper article and two TV interviews will do for you!  No time to decorate and slow moving! For more info on Portland’s Santagate situation you can check out the newspaper article here and one of the TV interviews here.  Just so you know this is what could happen to you if you make a comment on a Facebook page!  It was really fun though and I got my 15 minutes of fame!

Back to peppermint.

One of the cookies I remember my mom making for Christmas were Melting Moments.  I shared the recipe for Melting Moments a few years ago.  In fact it was one of the first cookie recipes I shared!  They live up to their name and melt in your mouth.

I decided a peppermint version was in order so I tweeked the recipe a bit and the results were quite delicious.

I added some crushed candy cane into the dough along with some peppermint extract.

And then added some more peppermint extract into the frosting and topped it off with a little bit more crushed candy cane!

Pretty much peppermint perfection.

Peppermint Melting Moments

Peppermint Melting Moments

• 2/3 C cornstarch
  • 1 C butter
  • 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1 C flour
  • 1/3 C crushed candy cane
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • Frosting:
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 2 -3 Tbsp milk (until frosting is the right consistency)
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • extra crushed candy cane to sprinkle on top

• In a bowl cream butter and add in powdered sugar, mix until creamy.
  • Add in extract.
  • Gradually add in flour and cornstarch and crushed candy cane. Mix well
  • Shape dough int 1 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
  • Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
  • Move to rack to cool. Be careful as cookies are fragile.
  • Frosting:
  • In a bowl combine butter, sugar, milk and extract and beat until creamy and smooth.
  • Frost cookies and sprinkle with extra crushed candy cane.

Comments

Emily says:

You cracked your rib?!! That’s it, I’m taking out a new insurance policy for my stairs.

Valerie H. says:

These cookies look so festive and good. The pictures you posted of them look like they came straight from a magazine. I’m making your “Cranberry Orange Cookies” today. Hope your healing fast!

Holly says:

Love the Santa story! We used to see the Santa at Lloyd Center every year, partially because he had a real beard. He had to deal with some family health issues and hasn’t been there for a couple years. We’ve been able to find some decent replacement Santas, and they all have one thing in common–real beards! Good for you for sticking up for tradition! Who cares if the Santas look the same “across the country.” Who wants a cookie-cutter Santa! Merry Christmas! (How did the kids feel about the photos being on the news? :) )

Lisa Hemstreet says:

You looked goregous on TV! What a great piece. OH, and your tree looked great!

dawn says:

Leigh Ann,
    I just have to tell you how much better I feel after hearing that you too are behind. I have the mantle decorated. Period. I guess I can attribute my tardiness to caring for “broken” grandmother’s, 2 days of kids sewing classes, gum surgery, one broken garage door, teaching full time and saying yes to sewing 300 wine sacks by next week. What was I thinking?

Patti says:

Oh, you were famous with all of us way before those 15 minutes came along!
    Patti recently posted..An Hour Late

Stacey says:

Those are amazing! The peppermint lovers in my house are very happy right now!

Lisa Casey says:

I thought you might like this recipe that’s gluten free. I haven’t tried (or made) it, but I know you were looking for recipes for your daughter.

Lisa Casey recently posted..Hammered Spoon Place Settings

Those look so yummy. I want to try them!
    Mrs. Mordecai recently posted..100 years of fashion and hemlines

April says:

I loved these cookies! They will be a family holiday staple in my house from now on. I put your picture on my blog with a link to let all my followers know were to find awesome recipes. Thanks so much for sharing!

KalideskopeGal says:

I’m sure it was a simple oversight, but the instructions above as of 12/9/2012 don’t say when to add the peppermint to the cookies. It might not have been an issue if I’d read the whole recipe before starting, but I didn’t realize I’d left them out until they were in the oven for 5 minutes. :-(

• 11.1
      Leigh Anne says:

Total oversight and I can’t believe no one else has mentioned it! Thanks so much for letting me know. I have corrected the recipe. Sorry about that.

• 11.1.1
        KalideskopeGal says:

Thank you — we’re online at the same time! I wouldn’t blame you for deleting that (or this) comment. On second reading, it sounded more harsh than was called for, and I apologize for that.

KalideskopeGal says:

I’m sure it was a simple oversight, but the instructions above as of 12/9/2012 don’t say when to add the peppermint to the cookies. It might not have been an issue if I’d read the whole recipe before starting, then added them in at a logical point, but I was somewhat distracted and didn’t realize I’d left them out until they were in the oven for 5 minutes. :-(