I have discovered something.
I think I could eat any fruit if it was mixed into ice cream. As I mentioned earlier this week, I am not, or was not, a peach fan but I have been converted. I especially like peaches when they are cut up into small pieces, mixed into homemade ice cream and then covered with homemade caramel sauce. Yes, I like that a lot!
We have kept our counter top Cuisinart ice cream maker busy this summer. Remember that lovely and delicious raspberry ice cream?! So good!
We had lots of ripe peaches from our peach picking excursion so we needed to use them up and the girls voted for peach ice cream. I headed to allrecipes and found a recipe that had lots of great reviews.
The reviewers guaranteed it was the BEST peach ice cream and I think they were right. The recipe calls for the peaches to be pureed but we just cut them up really small and mashed them a bit. The girls wanted to have some small chunks of peach in the ice cream which was just right for me too!
Word of Caution: The recipe does call for raw eggs which I don’t have a problem using but pregnant women, young children, the elderly and the infirm should not consume raw eggs.
The ice cream was so creamy and delicious with just the right amount of peach flavor. I think I will use this recipe as the base for other fruit ice creams. Thinking blueberry might just be next.
Because I could just not leave good enough alone and I had a container of homemade caramel sauce in the refrigerator thanks to one of my Facebook friends recipe I had to add some to my ice cream. Oh my gosh! Something great just got better. Loved it!
What’s your favorite fruity ice cream??
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups white sugar
- 10 fresh peaches, pitted and chopped
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- Note: I cut the recipe down to one third to fit in my 2 qt. ice cream maker and it was just the right amount.
- The recipe as is makes enough for a 6 qt. ice cream freezer
- In large bowl, mix together eggs and sugar until smooth
- puree peaches in blender or food processor and stir 5 cups of puree into egg mixture
- Stir in cream, half-and-half, vanilla and salt and mix well
- Pour mixture into freezer canister of ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions
- In a sauce pan combine all except whipping cream, cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a full boil and sugars are dissolved
- Cool 5 minutes and stir in whipping cream - serve warm