Chocolate and marshmallow. A pretty amazing combination.
Because I am an overplanner and my biggest fear in life is running out of food, I decided that maybe the S’mores Bar, Italian Soda Bar and the Roasted Corn, Strawberry and Avocado Salsa I made for our Labor Day potluck BBQ might not be enough. Never mind that there were 12 other families attending, all of them bringing something too! Yeah, I have issues. Anyone else have that issue?
I decided that a Mississippi Mud Cake was needed. So I made one. I think everyone at the party is glad I did. You just can’t go wrong with chocolate and marshmallow.
The cake is made in a jelly roll pan so it makes a lot which is perfect for a potluck! I also made half with nuts and half without. I am a without nuts girl myself. Love nuts, just not in my baked goods.
I spent quite a bit of time looking through my cake recipes. I almost went with lemon but I kept coming back to chocolate and marshmallow. So glad I did.
Recipe fromSouthern Living Our Best Ever Cakes & Pies
- 1 C butter
- 1 (4oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 2 C sugar
- 1½ C flour
- ½ C unsweetened c ocoa
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 (10.5 oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 C chopped pecans, optional
- ½ C butter
- ⅓ C milk
- ¼ C unsweetened cocoa
- 1 -16 oz. package powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine butter and semisweet chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and heat at high for 1 minute or until melted and smooth.
- Stir at 30 second intervals.
- Add sugar, flour, cocoa, eggs, vanilla and salt into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with marshmallows.
- Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes of until marshmallows begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle warm cake with chocolate frosting (see below)
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat.
- Add in milk and cocoa, and bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Use immediately.
- If you need to thin it out add a little milk.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!