Key Lime Pie Ice Cream – a taste of the tropics

The wedding countdown is down to one week.  Yes,  a week from today my son will be married!!!  We are so excited.  It’s a big job getting ready for a wedding and I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed and like I needed a vacation the last few days.  Maybe even a tropical vacation.  Well, since there is no time for that and no room in the budget I decided to make a batch of Key Lime Ice Cream!  It can almost do the trick.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Summer and key lime – it is a magical combination.  I am a big fan of key lime.  Remember that amazing key lime cake I shared a few years ago.  My neighbor still talks about it.  And then there were those key lime bars  which were a huge hit when I served them at a large church event.

Well today I have another key lime treat.  This time in the form of ice cream.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
For me there is nothing more refreshing than something lime.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
And since we’ve been enjoying some warm summer weather here in the Northwest Key Lime Ice Cream has really hit the spot.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
I used bottled Key Lime Juice. My store carries the Nellie & Joe’s brand. I used my basic vanilla ice cream recipe but instead of sugar I used a can of sweetened condensed milk, a main ingredient of key lime pie.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Since key lime pie usually has a graham cracker crust I added the graham crackers into the ice cream. I waited until the ice cream had set up and then stirred the crumbs in before I popped it into the freezer to harden up. A bit more sprinkled on top added just the right amount of graham cracker flavor and texture to the key lime pie ice cream.

I also added a few drops of green food coloring just to give it a hint of green.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 2 qts.

• 2 C whole milk
  • 3/4 C key lime juice (Nellie & Joe's)
  • 1 C heavy cream
  • 1 C 1/2 & 1/2
  • 1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 8 graham cracker squares, crushed

• In a bowl combine milk, lime juice, heavy cream, 1/2 & 1/2, salt and sweetened condensed milk.
  • Stir to combine.
  • Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.
  • After it has set up mix in 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs and save some for garnish. Put into a freezer container and freeze for at least an hour or until firm.
  • Garnish with remaining crumbs

Almost paradise….
Recipe shared at : Thirty Handmade Days * Tidy Mom *504 Main

Comments

1. Julie Spady says

Remind me which ice cream maker you use? That sounds really good. It’s been fun watching you get ready for the wedding. You must be so excited and exhausted! What a fun party it will be!!

2. nancy says

Would you be kind enough to tell me where I can find you basic vanilla ice cream recipe you so often refer to. It seems like you go off that recipe for many of your ice cream recipes and I would love to have a basic vanilla recipe. Please do share if you don’t mind. Thanks.

Good luck with the wedding. What an exciting time this will be for you and your family.

3. dirose says

That ice cream looks delish.
    Is the ice cream maker you use the one they sell in Costco?
    Can you tell me where you find the cups you have the ice cream in ?
    Thank you for so many great ideas!

I am not sure which one they sell at Costco but mine is the Cuisinart 2 qt. It’s great. Those little white cups came from Cash & Carry which is a restaurant supply grocery store here in Portand.

• dirose says

Thank you for the info. And we have a Cash and Carry here in Klamath Falls-Never thought of going there. Thanks.

4. Kathy Clune says

Hi, I made this ice cream tonight and it is delicious!! I left out the graham crackers because I wanted it to just be creamy. Love it! I also bought the Cuisinart ice cream maker and I love it too. It’s so quick and easy, this could be dangerous to my waistline! But when you move the ice cream to another container to freeze do you have trouble getting it all out, some always really freezes to the sides and I have to let it thaw to get it out. Also it’s kind of melting as I put it in the freezer container. Little problems but wonder how you deal with them. This has been the most fun toy I’ve had in a while! By the way I got mine from Overstock.com, it was described as being reconditioned and so I was taking a chance but it was in the original box and the original plastic wrappings so I was very happy with the purchase.

Kathy it is a dangerous toy!! Sometimes I leave the ice cream right in the ice cream maker canister and other times I transfer it to another container. I really haven’t had a hard time getting it out.
      So glad you liked it!!

I love key lime and you blog is absolutely wonderful. I would really love if you could link up to THURSDAY FOOD FEST which opens Wed eve at 7pm. Hope to see you! Sarah

Oh my, that looks absolutly wonderful. I just purchased a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker last week, can’t wait to give your recipe a try.
    Good luck with the wedding, Leigh Ann! I hope it all goes well.
    ~Jamie
    PS…your photos are just stunning, truly.

This looks amazing! I also live in the Pacific Northwest and yesterday was the first day we hit 80 degrees…and for me, that means making ice cream! Key Lime Pie ice cream!

Your key lime pie ice cream looks so delicious! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We hope you’ll come back and share more great recipes! -The Sisters

9. jinnie lynn says

My husband knows how much I love key lime pie and for my birthday this past summer he order two whole key lime pies from Kutchie and Anita Pelaez’s
    KEY WEST
    KUTCHARITAVILLE
    KEY LIME PIE
    FACTORY

Why two you might ask? It’s because he love’s key lime pie too!