Note: I just found out I am in the Top Three for the Most Awesome Local Blog in Portland. If you haven’t voted yet would please vote, pretty please! Just click on over here and then come back and read my yummy post. You can vote once using each email address in your household. Thanks!
Several weeks ago I shared with you a recipe for 30 Minute Rolls. I have heard back from so many of you who have tried them and loved them. For some of you it was your first time making yeast rolls! Yeah!
Last week I was volunteering in the kitchen/cafeteria at the Portland Temple. I remember as a child thinking it would be so fun to work in a restaurant. I never did have a job working in a restaurant so I got to live out that dream a little bit last week. I think that dream is now dead. My feet were killing me!!
I do have so much respect and admiration for those that do work in restaurants though – it is hard work. One of the things they were making that evening for dinner was an herbed cheese roll. They smelled heavenly as they baked and the head cook was nice enough to share one with us too – they tasted as good as they smelled. When I got home I decided I could make my own herbed cheese roll at home using the 30 Minute Roll recipe.
It worked perfectly!
I used some fresh rosemary from my garden but you could really use any herb or herb blend you like. Just chop it up nice and fine.
I added the herb in with the flour. I divided the dough up into balls and then gave them a nice coating of melted butter (to help the cheese stick better!)
Then I used a combination of four different cheeses. Cheddar and a three cheese blend of Parmesan, Asiago and Romano. You could use any cheese you like or combination! Get creative.
I sprinkled about a tablespoon of each one onto the top of the rolls.
Then I just baked them according to directions. After I pulled them out I gave them another nice little bath of butter.
A fun way to dress up your rolls!
- 1 C plus 2 Tbsp warm water
- ⅓ C oil
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- ¼ C sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3½ C flour
- 2 C grated cheese, combination of Cheddar, Parmesan, Asiago and Romano
- 4 Tbsp melted butter, divided
- 1½ Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In your mixer bowl combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Using your dough hook, mix in the salt, egg and flour and dried herbs.
- Knead with hook until will incorporated and dough is soft and smooth. (Just a few minutes)
- Form dough into 12 balls and then place in a greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Brush top of rolls with 2 Tbsp melted butter.
- Sprinkle each role with 2 Tbsp of grated cheese mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with 2 Tbsp melted butter.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!