Do you love food/cooking magazines as much as I do? I have piles of recipes that I have ripped out of magazines just waiting to be made. A small percentage of them ever actually get made but today I am sharing one of those recipes that I found in a magazine and actually made. And you are going to be glad I made it!
This is a delicious salad that can be served with or without chicken. It has lots of yummy flavors in the marinade and dressing with – ginger, sriracha sauce, cilantro and hoisin sauce.
Not only does it have lots of yummy flavors but it has lots of great texture too. It uses napa cabbage which is always a nice change from lettuce. I also added in some baby spinach. There is some nice crunch too with almonds, carrots and sesame seeds.
This salad can be served as a main dish with the chicken or as a delicious side salad with an Asian inspired main dish just by leaving the chicken off. We enjoyed this salad a couple of days in a row since we loved it so much. To make the dressing for the salad you will set aside some of the marinade. Just be sure that the part for the dressing NEVER touches your raw chicken. I marinaded my chicken for about 30 minutes but you could do it for longer if you wanted to.
For other yummy Asian inspired dishes check out these:
- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/4 C canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 C finely chopped green onions
- 1 lb. Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-3 C of baby spinach
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white part)
- 1/2 cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 C sliced toasted almonds
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Mix together soy sauce, ginger, oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sriracha and salt.
- Using a meat pounder or a heavy pan pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness (about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick)
- Put chicken in zip to bag and add in 4 Tbsp marinade.
- Reserve rest of the marinade for dressing. PLEASE be sure it does not come in contact with the raw chicken.
- To reserved marinade add 1/4 C red wine vinegar, sugar and green onions.
- Grill marinated chicken breasts in a grill pan or on outdoor grill. Grill until cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots, green onions, cilantro, half of sesame seeds and almonds.
- Add desired amount of dressing and chicken and mix together.
- Garnish with remaining sesame seeds and almonds.