Today’s recipe for Chicken Parmesan Soup is a yummy dinner suggestion. Try this….
when it does this….
Yes, Portland had a snowstorm this week (a snowstorm being defined as one inch of snow on the ground) It canceled school for the day although by noon the snow was pretty much gone so Tessa and I had some fun at Target (3 pairs of jeans for a total of $20.00!!!)
But back to the soup.
This recipe is one I first made several years ago from a Rachel Ray recipe.
I like to call it an Italian version of French Onion Soup. It has a nice rich broth with tomatoes, onions, basil and chicken.
The soup is poured over a crusty piece of bread that has been toasted with olive oil, garlic and Parmesan cheese! Yum! Another piece is placed on top.
The bread is quite easy to do. Just slice your bread about 3/4 inch thick and drizzle with olive oil.
Toast under the broiler for a few minutes.
And then rub each warm, toasted piece of bread with a clove of garlic. You will want to eat the bread but wait – it gets better.
Next, sprinkle the bread with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and pop it back under the broiler until the cheese melts.
Seriously though, don’t wait for a snow storm to try this soup – it’s too good!
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, pounded thin and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 C fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of crusty artisan bread (store bought)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 whole clove of garlic
- ½ C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in 2 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Cook until just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and saute chopped garlic, onions and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until onions are beginning to soften.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken back in and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil and stir.
- While soup is cooking, drizzle the sliced bread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet under the broiler in the oven and toast until lightly golden.
- Watch closely. Remove from oven and rub each slice with the whole clove of garlic.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place back under broiler for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Place one slice of toast in bottom of bowl and pour soup over the top. Add a second toast on top. Enjoy!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!