One of our all time favorite salads is Celestial Salad. We have made it for years and it is always on our Easter menu as well as making frequent appearances on our dinner table on other nights of the year.
I especially enjoy this salad in the spring and summer months. There is just something about a salad with oranges in it that says “Spring” to me!
The dressing is very light and the salad is full of yummy things like cucumbers, green onions, celery, and oranges. I always add sugared almonds too.
The original recipe came from The Portland Palate, one of my favorite cookbooks.
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 C celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- Romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- a sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Sugar the almonds.
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, celery, green onions, cucumber, oranges and nuts
- Whisk together salt, pepper, oil, sugar, vinegar and red pepper flakes
- Pour over salad and toss well