This lemon bar recipe is a keeper. It’s been in our family for 50 years!
Do you follow me on Instagram? I love sharing lots of pretty and delicious there! You may have noticed a bit of a lemon theme these week. I hope you non lemon lovers will bear with me.
This is a recipe that I have had for a really long time. The recipe originally came from a childhood friend’s mother in Wisconsin. This recipe has been in my family for about 50 years. That is no indication of how old I am!
It is the lemon bar my mother always made and it is the one I always make. I am pretty picky about my lemon bars. A lemon bar needs to have the right texture. Not too gooey, not too dry. It also has to have the right amount of lemon. Not too sweet and not to tart. For me this lemon bar is perfect. Have you ever bitten into a lemon bar, full of anticipation, only to be sorely disappointed in the lack of lovely lemon flavor!?? So disappointing but I promise these won’t disappoint!
The only down side to this recipe is it only makes an 8 x 8 pan full! The process is pretty easy though. It starts with a shortbread/cookie like crust that is baked. Then you add on a mixture of eggs, sugar and lemon and bake some more. The final touch is a drizzle of a lemon glaze. Use fresh lemons for the glaze and use one of these to squeeze your lemons. They are the best!
Lemon bars are one of my favorites. They are perfect for any occasion and I especially love them at Easter time.
Do you have my favorite tool to use with lemons? A must have in the kitchen. A lemon squeezer!
For other Lovely Lemon recipes try these:
- ½ C butter
- 1 C flour
- ¼ C powdered sugar
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- ¾ C powdered sugar
- lemon juice to make soft glaze
- Mix together butter, flour and powdered sugar and press into 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Mix together sugar, flour and baking powder
- Add in eggs, lemon juice and lemon rind
- Pour this mixture over baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until edges are golden brown and mixture is set.
- Mix together powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make glaze soft enough to drizzle over lemon bars while they are still warm.
- Cool and cut.