This skillet cinnamon roll is not only delicious, but looks like a beautiful flower. Each petal is a delicious cinnamon roll serving.
This is a little bit different version of the traditional cinnamon roll. Made in a cast iron skillet and the dough is shaped to resemble the petals of a flower. Not only is it delicious but it is also fun to make and eat! The kids will love helping make the dough petals that look like worms too!
How to make a petal Shaped cinnamon roll
After your dough has risen for about an hour you are going to tear off pieces of dough and roll them into little dough worms about 6-8 inches long.
Smoosh the worm into the dirt – not really dirt but into the cinnamon/butter mixture that looks a little like dirt! I baked mine in my cast iron pan because things just taste better when cooked in cast iron and I think it looks pretty too. I used a 10″ cast iron skillet pan but you could also use a small to medium pizza pan or any round pan that is about 10 inches in diamter. Start in the middle and wind your first little dough worm up into a spiral.
Then just continue making dough worms, dipping them into the sugar mixture and winding them around the center piece.
Once your pan is full of dough worms let it rise for about 45 minutes and it will look like this.
Then it’s time to bake and time to enjoy the lovely smell that cinnamon rolls make while they bake. It bakes for about 20 minutes. After removing from the oven drizzle with a nice powdered sugar glaze.
Isn’t she pretty!?
Now comes the fun part! You get to eat it. We like to just start on the outer edge and pull off a dough worm! Of course a mug of hot chocolate is always required to go along with the cinnamon rolls at our house.
Check out more easy roll recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Skillet Cinnamon Roll
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp milk or enough to make a good drizzling consistency
- Warm milk and add 3 Tbsp butter, 1/2 Tbsp salt, 2 Tbsp sugar. Stir so butter melts.
- Add yeast to 1/4 C warm water and let proof for about 5 -10 minutes
- Add flour, millk and yeast mixture together
- Knead until smooth in mixer with dough hook – about 5 minutes
- Let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- While the dough is rising mix together the 1/4 C butter, 1/2 C sugar, cinnamon and brown sugar
- After dough has risen break off balls of dough and roll into dough worms – about 6-8 inches long
- Dip dough worm into sugar mixture to coat and then place into a 10″ cast iron skillet starting in the middle. Roll dough into a spiral and place in center.
- Continue making dough worms and add them onto the spiral until the pan is full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- While baking mix together glaze.
- Mix together powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until it is a nice drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle over top of cinnamon roll.
- Serve warm!