Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is just what it’s name implies – ooey, gooey and oh so wonderful. Enjoy it as is or topped with fresh berries.
If you end up with leftover ooey gooey cake be sure and try this Ooey Gooey Cake Ice Cream, it’s divine!
This delicious cake was originally a bakery mistake! A St. Louis baker used the wrong amount of flour and sugar, not using enough flour, the cake was dense and heavy and people loved it! This cake is definitely a fortunate mistake.
What is Ooey Gooey Cake?
Ooey Gooey Cake is delicious! It has a yellow cake base with a soft, gooey cream cheese layer on top. The cake uses a yellow cake mix together with melted butter and an egg. You then top that with a mixture of softened cream cheese, eggs and powdered sugar. It is pure magic.
How to Make Ooey Gooey Cake
- Combine cake mix with melted butter and an egg. Do not add the ingredients that are listed on the back of the cake mix.
- Press into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Pour over cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
The cake is best served warm (if you really want it ooey and gooey) but it is also yummy at room temperature or right out of the refrigerator – it is good any time! Keep any leftovers refrigerated.
Can I Use A Different Flavor Cake Mix?
This cake is delicious when made with a lemon or chocolate cake mix too! If using lemon, add a few teaspoons of lemon juice into the cream cheese mixture too.
How to Serve Ooey Gooey Cake
It is delicious all on it’s own, topped with some whipped cream but I love to serve it with fresh berries on top and a drizzle of warm jam. I often use current jam but you could also use strawberry or raspberry. The jam adds a little extra flavor and adds a pretty shine to the berries.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Ooey Gooey Cake Recipe
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, melted
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Grease and flour one 13 x 9 pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together dry cake mix, melted butter and 1 egg. DO NOT add the ingredients from the back of the cake mix. Only use the dry cake mix.
- Press into prepared pan
- In separate bowl mix cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar
- Pour over the first layer
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes
Originally posted July 8, 2015